Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Black blisters all over the deer? >

Black blisters all over the deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Black blisters all over the deer?

Old 07-15-2005, 07:13 AM
Spike

Default Black blisters all over the deer?

Has anyone seen black blisters all over the deer before? This is something i have never seen on the deer . Most of the spots are small but there are a few that are at least half dollar size.They are all over their body (face,neck,legs,etc).Not all the deer have it though, i've only seen two so far abuck and a doe.Would you think they would get this many ticks all at once? That doesn't seem logical to me,but you never know.Help me out on this.
Thanks, Mamadoe
Old 07-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black blisters all over the deer?

no my dads buddy shot one with a baseball sizzed lump sticking out of the spaxe between his forehead and nose
never seen alot of black spots tho
Old 07-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, my dad shot a doe about two years ago that had a few spots like that. They are actually a type of wart that grows on the skin of the deer. They have a special name, but I can't think of it right now. As far as I know, they pose no threat to the animal. I have a pic of them somewhere, I'llgo see if I can find it.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well its not the pic I wanted, but it'll show you what the spots look like. The wart is right in the sweet spot. **Note that is not the arrow hole you see, but the wart.**

Old 07-15-2005, 08:36 AM

The condition is called cutaneous fibroma - a common viral infection. The meat is O.K. for human consumption, as long as the condition doesn't creat a secondaryinfection, which would then find it's way into the meat. I see this frequently during bag checks on managed hunts in my state.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

VD, you know how them bucks are ,Jumping from doe to doe
Old 07-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

I saw first hand just how devistating fibroma can be to a deer. Last year one of our hunters harvested s pretty nice buck, just one thing I have a HUGE fibroma mass that comeplety covered half of it's face and shoulder, he was in bad shape......it was imbedded into the muscle tissue, looked like something out of a monster movie...
Old 07-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I nod to Cardeer. STD
Old 07-15-2005, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

I nod to Cardeer. STD
Dirty DOES!!! What are they suppose to wrap it with, leaves?

I have never seen it myself. I don't know if I would trust the meat or not.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Spike

Cardeer that is a good one LOL!
I did read about that cutaneous fibroma onlinebut it didn't say that they growall over the body ,so these deer got it bad .
308hunter that is exactly what they look like but in numerous amounts . The doe has a huge one on her neck that is the size of a half dollar, it's just gross looking.I'm going to try to get a picture of this if they come out again .They look like they are leopard spotted.

Quick Reply: Black blisters all over the deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.