Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would a deer eat a snake?

Old 07-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Would a deer eat a snake?

Saw the strangest thing today. A small spotted fawn crossed the two track and met up with another. How cute. Oh, and there was Mom, my sight was suddenly was drawn to her because she was thrashing around with something kinda on her head.

It was a snake and she was biting it, shaking her head around and moving backwards. She dropped it once and then picked it back up and thrashed around some more before running off with it apparently still in her mouth.

I went to the area and found some small blood droplets and an 8-inch tail from some sort of snake. I don't know what kind, I ain't really great with snakes. Your guess is as good as mine.

What the heck is where I'm at now. Do you think she'd eat it or was just defending her fawns?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:27 PM

Default RE: Would a deer eat a snake?

lol heck no she wasnt trying to eat it. are you crazy or something!
Old 07-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now I'm at that what the heck stage, too. I doubt a snake would pose much of a threat to a deer, yet I doubt a ruminant would have any use for eating a snake, either.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:56 PM

Interesting question....

I read a study recently from a Wildlife Management Area here in Texas where bobwhite quail were being decapitated while in their nests on the ground in the spring time.This was happening a lot, and the wildlife biologists were perplexed about the problem. They could not figure out what was eating the quail heads... racoons, foxes, aliens?

Sooo, they set out infrared cameras around the quail nests. Anyone want to guess what was doing it?

Whitetail does that had recently dropped their fawns. Apparently, the quail heads were extremely protein rich and the does were lacking the protein from the rest of their diet.

I'll search for a link to the article for the non-believers, and remember, this was written by a wildlife biologist. Hopefully someone else saw this and can verify the article, I can't seem to find it.

Deer may sometimes eat some strange things.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't know if a deer will eat a snake, but a snake will eat a
small Kangaroo! I'm sure it will eat a large deer fawn.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:24 PM

I don't know about deer eating snakes, but I've come to believe that they will eat ants. We've got a lot of ant hills around our place, and particularly in the fall and winter, some of them keep getting torn up. Nothing around here is supposed to eat ants, and the only tracks around the hills are deer tracks. 2 + 2 = 4, right?

Old 07-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

well , if deer are eating snakes i quess i will have to watch it from now on when i whiz in the woods
Old 07-12-2005, 09:02 PM

Actually, it is possible. I watched a show that had video of deer eating small fingerling fish that were washing up on a shoreline. I can't remember what kind of fish, but I guess it was a yearly thing at this place.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:50 PM
XTP

you dont need to say rude stuff if your trying to start fights take it somewhere else
........Amen to that.!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

born2hunt should be born2punt, cause you're out of downs. Nowhere did I ask if the doe was TRYING to eat the snake. I asked if the doe WOULD eat a snake. Because the only part she left was the small severed tail piece. So on one hand you're a genius, but beings you don't read and/or comprehend very well, it's only YOUR hand and only YOU think so.

Use your other hand.............................................. ....to get the foot out of your mouth.

And this kind of treatment from someone who asks, "how is deer cocaine used"? ROTFLMAO!

gooblerheaven, "stupidest question ever"? Hmmm, more inquiring (i.e. intelligent) minds such as TexasHunter1 & Buck Magnet seem to have some revelant info that might cause you to ask THE STUPIDEST QUESTION EVER. "Why don't I open my mind and try to learn.

Oh, by the way newbies........................................... ..........welcome to the board.

Quick Reply: Would a deer eat a snake?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.