Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My story published in GON.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default My story published in GON.

My hunting accident was published along with three other accidents from last deer season. Everyone should read them and be extra careful this coming season. Go to GON.COM. Look for surviving the fall then click on REST OF STORY. Mine was the wasp attack.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 PM

Default RE: My story published in GON.

Man that was just an all round bad day now! Glad to know you are doing better now.
Falling out of a tree stand is the most common way for a deer hunter to be seriously injured. Last season 15 hunters pitched out of trees to the ground and were injured. The number represents nearly 33 percent of all hunting incidents. The 15 tree-stand falls included one fatality in which a 61-year-old man fell to his death.
that 61 year old was a good friend of mine. He was hunting by himself way out from anyone. It looked like he was trying to lean out to breaksome branchesand just fell out.It is so important to take care of yourself out there. Don't ever think it can't happen to you.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 PM

Man, you were lucky! I had a nasty fall when I was 18. I now wear a safety harness every time I am in a treestand. Here is the link to the story.

http://www.gon.com/treestand.html
Old 07-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I fell off my chair while sitting on the ground even. And fall almost everytime I stumble in to the woods.Since I'm only 5foot 7 It aint that far
Old 07-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

To tell you the truth, I've neverhave used belts. This year will be the first year I make sure to do so though. I've set up a couple tall stands at about 25 feet, and especially since my girlfriend is also going to use those stands, I'm rigging those withbelts. It'd be stupid for me not to.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:20 AM

It is just as stupid not to use a safety harness in a treestand as it is not to use a seatbelt in a car or truck. You might do it all your life and not get hurt. Then again, you might do it all your life and only get hurt once.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the link. Good advice and it can never be repeated often enough because there will always be folks who choose to ignore it.