Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Is it Legal to Hunt School Property??? >

Is it Legal to Hunt School Property???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it Legal to Hunt School Property???

Old 07-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it Legal to Hunt School Property???

We just moved to a deer-filled suburban area and my street dead ends in a big section of woods. Probably 20 or 30 acres. It belongs to the junior high and it's just land they haven't converted to grass yet. It's in the very back. Can I hunt it legally? I see no posted signs and the woods are far away from the school. The maintenence building is about 100 yards from the edge of the woods and the school itself is about 200-300 yards further up than that. The ball fields are on the other side of the school. Nothing would be even close to safety zone but the whole school property makes me 2nd guess it.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it Legal to Hunt School Property???

Probably not, most schools are in a drub and weapons free zone and this probably includes all school property.

Head to the local PD and ask em.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:32 AM

I agree with Bob. More than likely it is illegal. And most towns have an ordanance prohibiting hunting within city limits.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

It can't hurt to ask . Make sure you stress that it will be for bow hunting only , but they will probably say no anyway . Liability is a big issue for schools , even if you indemnify them in writing and only hunt it when school is not in session . By any chance is this woods bordered by properties that might allow it ?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's no city limits because there is no city around. We are in a suburb that has a lot of woods around. Not congested at all. The woods buts up to our neighborhood.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's most likely illegal, but depending on the temperment of your area, the folks in charge may look the other way as long as you are discreet and responsible. But best to check 1st.

Just an FYI- In PA no city, or twp can restrict legal hunting. That is an imprtant thing to know when you hunt a lot of suburbs.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

To each his or her own, but with all the available woods in that area, why wouldanyone want to consider hunting on school property?
I have no problem with anyone hunting wherever they want (provided it is legal) but I would much rather prefer hunting as far away as possble from these types of areas, especially schools.
It's JMHO, but I can just see a deer that I shot with my bow, running and finally dying near a playground full of kids, especially if the school is within 200-300 yds.......I would try my best to avoid those types of situations....just my .02
Old 07-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have always felt that if you can't get written permission you need to stay off the property.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Just an FYI- In PA no city, or twp can restrict legal hunting. That is an imprtant thing to know when you hunt a lot of suburbs.
They can if they designate it as a park. There is a lake north of PA that has a ton of deer (in fact too many deer) that they only allow "sharp shooters" to harvest deer
Old 07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's not what I said. If its a park its a park. But if youare legally hunting onland in "whatever" twp, they cannot make a no hunting or weapons discharge ordinance that restricts lawful hunting.

I have not heard of any sharpshooters in the pittsburgh area, usually they have the park hunt association that takes care of that.

Quick Reply: Is it Legal to Hunt School Property???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.