Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"? >

Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

Old 07-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why do hunters... "Like to Kill"?

To me, it not "a love to kill". It's the love of going out in wild animals' territory with some understanding of where and when the animals I'm hunting might be. They have so many advantages (i.e. better sight, hearing, smell and 6th sense) to survive. Matching up with one of these magnificent creatures for just a chance to bring it down and to do it so that they go down fast.

The heart pounding through your chest when your have your shotgun or rifle up mounted waiting for that Deer or Elk or other game to take that one more step to give you a good broadside shot through the heart and lungs. That time seems like an eternity and sometimes they don't take the step and move off the other way. In that case, they come out ahead. That's okay, too. I just hope and pray for another opportunity and give thanks for the experience.

And when I do take a Deer, Elk, Pheasant, duck, goose or any other animal, I try always to give thanks to the One who created it. For I know the One who created is much greater than I'm, no matter how big of an animal or rack it has. Even then there is a little sadness for the animals I kill. They are just trying to survive, too. Never boost about a kill, I say. And never kill just for the sake of killing or the trophy alone. I don't believe that is right.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:29 PM

Cause you can't eat it until you kill it.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:10 PM

i don't believe i hunt for the meat..or to be with family..or just to be out in the woods..yeah, they're nice and all, but when it boils down to it, i could do that without my gun or bow. Peter Capstick said it best in one of his books. Look at quail:you can buy them for what, a buck or two for a quail breast? But no, you have to have a shotgun, shells, license, dog, boots, vest, gas, etc...that could be thousands of dollars. the whole reason i hunt is for the thrill of the chase, those moments leading up to the shot, and finally, making the shot. The adrenaline rush is like nothing else. Even shooting a doe gives me more of a rush than catching a 5 lb bass. It's hard to explain. Just the feel of when you pull the trigger and see the animal go down gives a primal rush like no other. it's in our wiring since the cave men times. the kill and the rush that comes with taking the shot(whether i connect or miss, or something goes wrong), and also the time frame leading up to the animals demise or escape(the stalk, or hearing it come towards you) is the reason i hunt. It keeps me coming back for more not matter how many deer i've had the privilage of taking.

slayer
Old 07-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like my Gramp many many years ago taught me "you kill it you eat it"I'm teaching the same to my grand kids.On the fun side when I get into it with the "libs"I tell them I don't eat plants(white lie)and I'm protecting the plants from those horrid plant killers I mean plants have feelings ,too.That makes them stop and think!!
Old 07-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: recurver67

Cause you can't eat it until you kill it.
exactly.............
Old 07-28-2005, 10:03 AM

Ime new too this site and i only been hunying for 3 years, butif i dont kill anything that season thats fine becuz i just love being in the woods. If u do get sompthing though it makes u feel happy becuz u worked hard and u know that work paid off at the end.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:04 PM

There was a discussion on another site last week about this.My reply was this.I have gone on many hunting trips in my 54 years and many many times there was no game taken.Some of the most remembered hunts in my life no game was killed.Some people just don't get it and never will.Its not the kill its the HUNT.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Some people just don't get it and never will.Its not the kill its the HUNT.
Right on the money.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:42 PM

I'm sure glad you guys arent "killers".Imagine going into the woods where killers are.I'll bet most of us care more about people and being safe than the non-hunters.