Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
PETA fails in attempt to thwart hunters >

PETA fails in attempt to thwart hunters

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PETA fails in attempt to thwart hunters

Old 01-09-2002, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default PETA fails in attempt to thwart hunters

Hunting brothers & sisters, the following article appeared on the "ESPN Outdoors" website:

Group outfits deer in blaze orange to protect them from hunters; actually made deer easier to hunt and then enter into local contest

Associated Press — January 8, 2001

COLUMBUS, Ohio — If you are familiar with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of
Animals), then you are aware of the fact they will do almost anything to protect animals.
This year's efforts to save Ohio's deer from the annual statewide gun season has
backfired.

For safety's sake, hunters in Ohio are
required by law to display at least 400
square inches of hunter's blaze orange on
their person when in the woods. Capitalizing
on the fact that hunters do not usually shoot orange, PETA recently bulk purchased blaze
orange vests and have been affixing them to live-trapped deer in Youngstown suburbs.
According to PETA spokesperson Katie Reese, a total of 405 vests were successfully put
into circulation prior to this week, with additional specimens still being caught and
vested.

Youngtown entrepreneur Guy Lockey, of Guy's Outdoors has spit in the face of PETA by
offering rewards for the returned vests this week. Hunters who can successfully bag a
vested deer can pay $5 for random and biggest animal awards. As of Tuesday, Jan. 8,
308 of the vests had already been recorded as bagged with most of the hunters
registering for Mr. Lockey's drawing.

"It's so easy, you can see them coming a mile away," said one first year hunter after
checking in his first spike buck.

ODNR officials are worried that the poorly thought out plan by PETA might get somebody
shot instead of saving the deer. "Hunters have turned their plan upside down, we're just
hoping that nobody gets hurt and are hoping that none of the vested animals get tangled
in brush" said an unnamed ODNR official. "PETA has really outdone itself this time."
Ohio's statewide gun season is open to shotguns only and is scheduled to close on
Saturday, Jan. 12.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:07 AM

Default RE: PETA fails in attempt to thwart hunters

Yeah, I heard about that the other day on CNN. One question, how do you spell M-O-R-O-N?
Old 01-09-2002, 08:19 AM

hunting will never go away so they can try and try but hunting will just get stronger and stronger...all ANTI-hunters are losers..notice i said anti rather than NON
Old 01-09-2002, 08:34 AM

I heard this on the radio this morning and just laughed. What a plan they had!!!! I don't like the fact that it made hunters "look for" flo-orange instead of "look out for". If anybody did get shot, could they sue PETA?

Lefty Llewellyn
Old 01-09-2002, 08:53 AM

My thoughts exactly, Lefty. I would hate to find out that a hunter had been shot because of the blaze orange. If anyone else were to "dress" deer and then release them into the wild, would the Humane Society not throw a fit? I'm sure that he deer aren't too keen on being pinned down and jacketed. Of course, we all hope that nobody gets hurt, but I'm glad that their plan is backfiring.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I read this I laughed so hard I almost cried! PETA is full of idiots as is demonstrated by this one article!

The Tazman
Old 01-09-2002, 09:06 AM

Also how can an organization get away with this without some sort of approval from the state's DNR?

Also we must commend those whose who participated in the vest "buyback" It shows that they indeed positively identified their target.

Edited by - nh hunter on 01/09/2002 10:09:11
Old 01-09-2002, 09:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2002, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you legally live trap deer without a permit?
Old 01-09-2002, 09:54 AM

I am from Youngstown and there is no truth to
this story. For the record our gun season ended a month ago.

Quick Reply: PETA fails in attempt to thwart hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.