Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Washing Soda in deer Cocaine?

Old 09-21-2002, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Washing Soda in deer Cocaine?

Seems some while back I heard of someone using washing soda for a deer attractant and that it may be an ingredient in deer cocaine. Has anyone used washing soda for a deer attractant and how did you use it?
Thanks in advance.

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick
Eastern Ontario Guided Adventures

Edited by - SwampBuck on 09/22/2002 22:11:21
Old 09-21-2002, 09:03 PM
Spike

Default RE: Washing Soda in deer Cocaine?

Droptine.....I use the arm and hammer washing detergent....Deer love it, they will continue to come back and dig huge holes in the area

file:///C:/My%20Documents/bald_eagle.gif
Old 09-22-2002, 01:22 AM
Spike

You need to make sure you are using the washing soda. I don't think you want anything with detergents in it. And yes, the washing soda does work.

Old 09-22-2002, 05:02 AM

WVBucksnort...tell me more about the Arm & Hammer.....how, where, when....etc.........Brampton Mike
Old 09-22-2002, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Brampton,
This is a posting I got off of a Wildlife Biology site by C. J. Winland. Check it out. Deer like the stuff and I just put some out today by making a mudhole and mixing this stuff in with the mud. It's called Arm and Hammer Washing soda and it is just the opposite of baking soda. It is a carbonate instead of a bicarbonate. I'll let you know in a few days if it works.

Randy: Yes, you can produce your own mineral lick by using the following: 50 pound trace mineral salt, 100 pound dicalcium phosphate or mono-calcium phosphate, and 10 pounds washing soda (Arm and Hammer). Eventually, you should reduce the percentage of salt to no more than 30-35 percent. Obviously, deer love salt, but too much is not good for them. Thus, salt is used as the main attractant so they consume the more important minerals. I have even heard of folks including 3 pounds of brown sugar to their mixture.
Although this homemade mixture will attract deer, the problem is it does not include any of the trace minerals that deer need. Thus, buying the commercial mineral products and mixing them with the aforementioned list is a tip in making your dollars go further.

It's also important to note that NO scientific paper has ever proven that mineral blocks have increased antler growth! We know it can't hurt, but do not expect to have a lot of big-antlered bucks on your property due to mineral blocks. Increased antler production comes from reducing the adult doe segment and increasing your buck's age structure.

C.J. Winand

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick

Edited by - SwampBuck on 09/22/2002 22:12:23
Old 09-22-2002, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

I also want to add that I saw today at the TSE Farm store in Belleville, a 60lb bag of arm and hammer bicarbonate. Maybe they can get the carbonate, what you need. The bag was $14.99. They had another big bag there but it stated it was also feed grade bicarbonate (baking soda)(NOT WHAT YOU WANT).

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick

Edited by - SwampBuck on 09/22/2002 22:13:36
Old 09-22-2002, 07:52 PM
Spike

I have some info on the washing soda if any one wants it. I have a pic of the box and several pics of mineral licks made with it. Let me know and I can just email you the pics. I also have this little tidbit of info.

What is Washing Soda?
.....Washing soda is Sodium Carbonate. Baking soda on the other hand is Sodium Bicarbonate. The two are not interchangeable in any way. If you cannot find it at your grocery store in the detergent isle, try asking for a special order. According to the good folks at Arm & Hammer, the upc code for the 55 ounce box is 33200-03020.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:49 PM
Spike

I am interested in it lets here it.

Old 09-23-2002, 05:29 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-25-2002, 07:02 PM

I'm glad I came across this post. I was an engineer at Church & Dwight (Arm & Hammer) for several years. The history of the carbonate is that beef farmers put it out as a salt lick. The dairy farmers noticed that their milk cows that used the lick were producing more milk. The math told them that adding $10 worth of carbonate to the feed would produce an extra $22 worth of milk. Not bad. Church and Dwight couldn't figure out why the feed stores were constantly complaining they were out of stock no matter how much product was delivered.

The problem is that as the supply meets the demand, the demand increases. The company obviously gives delivery priority to the central farming regions of the U.S.

DO NOT USE POWDERED A&H LAUNDRY DETERGENT ON FOOD PLOTS. SURFACTANTS AND ENZIMES WILL WASH INTO THE WATER SOURCES AND AFFECT THE NATURAL BALANCE OF ANY NEARBY NATURAL WATER SOURCE.

Quick Reply: Washing Soda in deer Cocaine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.