Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer population questions??

Old 06-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer population questions??

Hey all,
doing a study for school regarding hunting and its impact on deer populations. I am arguing that in fact deer populations would explode and ruins much crop, not to mention vehicle collision increasing. Can anyone help me in such that I am looking for websites or anything that may lend information for me to read.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer population questions??

Try contacting www.qdma.com or call the Quality Deer Management Association at 1-800-209-3337. They shoud have some information that will help you.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another approach to this question is to try to access deer harvest statistics which are likely to be kept by each respective state. Pay attention to sex. It happens that if you kill bucks, the remaining bucks simply breed with more females. Therefore, killing bucks may not substantially constrain population increases. Killing does removes a reproduction source from the population. Any deer killed reduces the population by one deer. Killing does may have an effect greater than killing one deer. For example, NOT killing a doe in 2005 is very likely to increase the population in 2007 by more than just the one doe that was NOT killed. The population will include that doe's 2006 and 2007 fawns.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:14 AM

Try Fish and Game in the state/region you live in.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:01 AM

These sites should help you. http://www.whitetailstewards.com/art...gearticles.htm

Here's one that will throw a curve, its a federal government study about deer predation on grassland songbirds.
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/2...d/deerpred.htm

77% of animal/vehicle collisions in which vehicle occupants were killed were due to deer. An estimated 1.5 million deer-vehicle crashes occur each year in the United States. These crashes result in at least $1.1 billion in vehicle damage." Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
http://www.hwysafety.org/news%5Frele...4/pr111804.htm
http://www.hwysafety.org/news%5Frele...4/pr111804.htm
Old 06-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

wicked, thanks so much guys.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

I'll suggest another approach to this issue, but it might be a lot of work. Calculate the amount of venison consumed in your state. That would be number of deer harvested times, say, 35 pounds. (If you're in a western state, of course you'll want to add elk, maybe antelope.) Then calculate how many additional beef cattle would be required to provide the same amount of meat. Now for each additional beef required, add a cow to birth that beef animal. Then estimate how many deer/elk/antelope would have to go bye bye because now we have all these extra cows. As I said, it would be a lot of work.

I was just trying to estimate this for Montana, and my rough figures are that we consume 6 million pounds of wild game meat in this state. It would take about 20,000 cow/calf pairs to replace this meat source if we didn't hunt any more. Each cow eats about double what an elk does, so by my math, that's 80,000 elk down the toilet so we can all eat beef instead of hunt. In other words, the elk population in our fine state would have to decline by ONE HALF or so! How does this help wild animals or animal lovers? (Please don't take any of my numbers to heart, they are estimates, but they have to be ballpark.)
Old 06-13-2005, 08:14 AM

Check out Alabama everyone hunts and there are still millions spent on deer caused vehicle collisions
Old 06-13-2005, 08:37 AM

Call a auto ins agency they will have some interesting numbers for you.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is some info for your report. You will not have to contact anyone, you get the info right here, right now. Let everyone know that a guy by the name of Uncle Matt, in IL will reduce the herd in IL by a few later this year.

Uncle Matt (in IL)