Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 09-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-20-2002, 12:48 PM

Default RE: Tree stand Height?

Not a bad question. It all depends, what are the surroundings like, safty and your own comfort zone to name a few.

You want to be able to look over any items that may obtruct your view, and high enough that you don't look like somthing growing out of the tree or be sniffed out. Deer can smell even with up in the tree but I would argue that the higher you are the better chances of the deer no detecting you or your sent.

I personally like getting as high as I can, even if it means the tree rocking a little more than some people would like.

Last year in Ga. I was hunting in a climbing stand and it was "very" windy, so I decided to no go up so high and sure enough a nice buck came around and you would know it, the deer cought my sent with no warning and took out of there like a fright train. Now, I knew the buck would come back being this was his scraping area.

The next day though still windy I went ahead and took my stand as high as it could go and sure enough a few hours latter with the wind blowing in the same direction the same buck came through, never detected me and I got a nice six pointer.

Get up there and hunt.

KEEP HUNTING AND THE GREAT OUTDOORS ALIVE!
Old 09-20-2002, 01:23 PM

I hunt between 15 - 25 ft depending on the tree and cover. Most of my stands end up 18-20 ft. Over 20 ft. up I start getting concerned about the shot angle since I've shot the majority of my deer at less than 20 yards out and with a bow. I've gone as high as 35-40 ft. for gun hunting.

Edited by - Lefty Llewellyn on 09/20/2002 14:26:27
Old 09-20-2002, 03:21 PM

i thought when you said nice it was going to be a 12 point or something. Instead a 6 oh well i guess their all trophys.

you start hunting and you suck, you keep doing it till you dont suck
Old 09-30-2002, 09:55 AM

I have heard that your bow will shoot different if you go above 15 or 16 feet? Is this true- I use shooting pins as sights>

H Aaron Green
Old 09-30-2002, 01:47 PM

15 feet is high enough for me. For one, I tend to get some wicked vertigo once in a while so it spooks me to go too high. I had one stand that was only 3 feet off the ground since the cover was exceptionally good at that height. I like ladder stands and most of them come at 12, 15 or 16 feet. As long as your setup in a good spot with decent cover, there's not much need to go any higher.

-Mike

Old 09-30-2002, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

My tree stand heights range from 12ft. to 30ft. It all depends on the tree and the area I am hunting.

--------------------
Be a steward of the resouce, not just a deer killer.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

We have a lot of ladder stands that are 16 ft. but if I am climbing in a climber I get as high as I can. I have a 45 ft. nylon string to pull my rifle up and sometimes I max it out.

Old 09-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
How high should I mount a tree stand for whitetail deer?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

In my opinion, as high as you can shoot comfortably and accurately from. It also depends upon the kind of hunting you are doing. When bow hunting, to me its kinda difficult to be accurate from 30 feet up a tree, shooting down into an animal's back. On the other hand, getting way up for rifle hunting is really groovy.

As a start, I think you should get up about 12ft or so, else there is little use for a stand. That range should be perfect for most situations. But if with a rifle you can go 20ft or so and shoot comfortably and dead accurately, I think you should do it.

The thing is, you should practice, practice, practice to find your comfort zone and learn stand safety. It's not just schoolmarm stuff. Many trees narrow severely the higher they go, which will make your stand unstable in many cases. Tree stand accidents can be quick and deadly. So practice.