Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Antler restrictions for Illinois. >

Antler restrictions for Illinois.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Antler restrictions for Illinois.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Antler restrictions for Illinois.

I was thinking about this the other day and im no QDM guy but i was thinking it would be good for illinois to have antler restrictions. Say 4 points on each side? i think other states have already passed this am i right? its really a bonus for hunters because after a few years of it we will be seeing some huge bucks all over the state. (as if they arent now). tell me your opinoin on this.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:48 AM

Default RE: Antler restrictions for Illinois.

Good Question 50!
My opinion is I would not like it. The reason being is that in Illinois there are a lot of 1 1/2 year old bucks that grow 8 point antlers. These are the ones with better genetics( I believe). What would happen is these good growing young bucks would all be shot while the deer that could only grow say a four or six point rack would be able to walk. Therefore the better genetics would be taken out of the herd.

now if more bucks is what you want then this method might get this accomplished.
I just like the idea that if I take a kid hunting and the first deer we see is a 6 pointer I want him to be able to shoot that deer, i do not want to tell him he has to wait for a bigger one for his first deer. Now personally I wouldn't shoot it but I think it would make an excellent first deer.

Strictly Opinion.
RBBH
Old 05-27-2005, 08:08 AM

RiverBottomBowHunter,
I agree totally. My neighboring state of Mississippi went to 4 pts or better and the research done after implementation shows that the quality deer are getting harvested while the poorer genetics are surviving to pass along inferior genes. Mississippi State University has concluded that points as a basis for buck harvest is a terribly flawed idea and a very bad thing to implement.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

in a way that would be great... but like riverbowhuntersaid you wouldn't want to tell a little kid he couldn't shoot something.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

We already have some areas in the state that are managed as quality deer areas. Jim Edgar Wildlife area has a 4 pt. restriction along with a few other areas. I'm not sure it's needed though. I've seen plenty of huge bucks roaming the areas I hunt, which are mostly public areas. The problem is connecting on them.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

well i dont hunt Illinois but i would LOVE too sometime.
we have antler restrictions here in PA and i agree w/ what you say abotu the best bucks getting shot.. but the state doesnt.. and along w/ a lot of other people.. i think it would be better to have a age restriction in place.. but that would be so hard to do.. most hunters wont be able to tell and in some cases it is hard to tell w/ the hunter that can tell.. now the way we do it for kids and "old" hunters they are aloud to shoot whatever buck they please..

ORIGINAL: RiverBottomBowHunter

Good Question 50!
My opinion is I would not like it. The reason being is that in Illinois there are a lot of 1 1/2 year old bucks that grow 8 point antlers. These are the ones with better genetics( I believe). What would happen is these good growing young bucks would all be shot while the deer that could only grow say a four or six point rack would be able to walk. Therefore the better genetics would be taken out of the herd.

now if more bucks is what you want then this method might get this accomplished.
I just like the idea that if I take a kid hunting and the first deer we see is a 6 pointer I want him to be able to shoot that deer, i do not want to tell him he has to wait for a bigger one for his first deer. Now personally I wouldn't shoot it but I think it would make an excellent first deer.

Strictly Opinion.
RBBH
Old 05-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that type of restriction is coming to Minnesota shortly. I have no problem with it myself. Minnesota holds firearms right smack in the middle of the rut. And we still get many monsters shot every year. If we did do that Iowa and Illinois would have nothing on Minnesota. That's my opinion.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 4 point restriction would still get the majority of yearlings in my area killed. Only the scrag forkies and the very rare spike would survive and these are NOT the animals I want around to try and breed any Does. I think the states money is better spent trying to educate the average Joe about NOT shooting and being able to indentify 18 month old deer!!! We need to start getting everyone "in the game" and using some good ol' common sense and doing what's best for the herds.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

A 4 point restriction would still get the majority of yearlings in my area killed. Only the scrag forkies and the very rare spike would survive and these are NOT the animals I want around to try and breed any Does. I think the states money is better spent trying to educate the average Joe about NOT shooting and being able to indentify 18 month old deer!!! We need to start getting everyone "in the game" and using some good ol' common sense and doing what's best for the herds.
That's a great point Cornfed, I agree with the thought process your in but here in Minnesota I believe it would never go. The majority here goes by the term brown and down. Not to mention the Minnesota DNR are a confused bunch of people. Not much they do makes any sense.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:47 PM

Antler restrictions are a stupid idea. people just have to be smart and show restraint. dont shoot those little ones. IMHO, let the private landowners do the managing, because the public is too divided to set rules for public land. if you personally own the land, manage the deer how you want for antlers. i wouldnt see it working with the public. I mean, most people would shoot the stuff we pass up because most people honestly dont care about QDM. their loss i guess..

slayer

Quick Reply: Antler restrictions for Illinois.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.