Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Digital Trail camera in the cold >

Digital Trail camera in the cold

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Digital Trail camera in the cold

Old 05-25-2005, 05:34 AM
Spike

Default Digital Trail camera in the cold

Hi Fellow hunters

I have a few questions regarding digital scouting cameras. First, how do you keep it running, camera and LCD, in cold temps? I mean - 10 to - 20 like we have here in Canada in November. Is there a way? I just baught a bushnell trailscout and I tried it in the freezer at -15. This seems to eat up the batteries and the LCD will not work. Is this a problem with others like Moultrie, Leaf river, etc? Any info is appreciated as I will hunt Saskatchewan this Fall and I want to use one that works in the cold weather. Thanks again!!!

Cormier
Old 05-25-2005, 07:47 AM

Default RE: Digital Trail camera in the cold

It's a problem on the 1.3 digital stealth. Well actually those problem occur when the temps drop below freezing. The flash can't draw enough power from the batteries and it dosen't flash. Not a problem durring the day but it sucks with night pictures. [:'(]
Old 05-25-2005, 09:44 AM

One thing I found that worked was the lithium batteries. They are more expensive but they do take the cold a little better. I also carry extra with me when I check my camera. The ones you take out are not so much dead as they are cold, so you can reuse them when it warms up. I think there is a webpage out there that shows how to wire them up to an external battery.
good luck
Old 05-25-2005, 10:56 AM

The guys that do the R&D for the home brew units will put the camera in the freezer if the rest of the specs are up to use . They will leave the camera in the frezzer for a couple of days and if all works they will keep going on the tests .
Old 05-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Spike

The camera I got uses 4 D cells (Alkaline). Do they make Lithium in D size as they do in the AA? This would help in cold Temps!
Old 05-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep an eye out of CamTrakker's new digital model that will be coming out soon. Like their current model it will have 2 rechargeable sealed lead-acid batteries in it that will outlast any regular C, D, or lithium cells out there. Granted no battery is going to last as long in frigid temperatures as it would under normal circumstances, but the sealed lead batteries are absolutely your best bet.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Spike

Do you think there's a way to convert 4 D Cells into a rechargeable sealed lead-acid battery?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

My stealth runs awesome in the cold, and I'm in Northern Wi. I have it set up to run on a 12V marine battery. On one hour of charge, it ran for two full days, highs of -20 and lows of -40, and took nearly 500 pictures, almost all using the flash. I would assume that with more charge, it would have lasted a lot longer.

here is a link to a post where we discussed the stealth into some greater detail at Jesses.

Stealth Digital Modifications
Old 05-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why go through the trouble of having to do some half-cocked modification to a camera when you can just buy one that works like it should out of the box?
Old 05-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

"half cocked"? What kind of a remark is that? It's easy, it works great, it's innovative and it's cheap. I don't see what part would lead you to believe that this modification is, as you would say, "half cocked".

Quick Reply: Digital Trail camera in the cold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.