Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rubs from last season (pic1)

Old 05-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rubs from last season (pic1)

maybe a moose, maybe not. consider this, IF there was a considerable snow fall, the deer could have been standing on that snow while rubbing. not saying that is the case, but I did see an account of that happening in the mid west some time ago.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either way, those are some nice rubs!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually it could have been a nice whitetail. The tree doesn't look that thick and considering the strength of a 250 lb buck he could have very easily just thrashed the tree so hard he bent it closer to the ground giving him the ability to rub the bark off further up the tree. I have seen this on numerous occasions where bucks have bent trees over resulting in higher rubs. Also considering he broke another tree it would show that he was pretty fierce in rubbing the trees.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was walking this winter I came across several trees that looked like they were rubbed just like that. There were tons of them soo many that I couldn't believe it. A few days later I saw a deer where I found the rubs. After I watched the deer I found that they weren't rubs at all. The deer were eating the sumac bark off the trees. I didn't see any teeth maks but after watching the deer he would strip it right off in one large piece. Not sure if that might have happened there but if not those are some woods I would like to hunt up there by you. Very nice.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:51 PM

Those are a little high but what ever it was Id hunt that area next year.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:05 PM

how about putting up a trail camera? that would show something! my feeling is elk, moose, or maybe a deer on top of 2' of snow. it would be nice to see what is living in the area.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:54 PM

Come on guys it can't be a moose.Don't tell me you have never seen a deer on stilts.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:43 AM

Wow! It's pretty obvious not to many people know too much about moose. There is absolutely NO QUESTION ABOUT IT, those rubs were made by a moose. #1...They are fresh, so snow is out of the question. #2....there is no way in hell a deer would be able to rub that high...not a chance....no way. #3.....The spot is obviously a funnel, one which the deer and moose are using. Look at the pic close....#4 The rubs were made on poplar.....a moose favorite.
I spend all winter picking moose horns and come across hundreds of rubs exactly like these every year....THEY ARE MOOSE.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

maybe a jackolope on roids
Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 PM

or maybe they are territorial markers made by mountain lions.....watch out!

Quick Reply: Rubs from last season (pic1)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.