Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Remington Core-Lokts Changed?

Old 05-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington Core-Lokts Changed?

I have not used Core-Lokts for about 6 years but used to use them and never had a problem with them. For a cheap bullet I always found them to be one of the better penetrating non-premium bullets out there. However I have recently read on several websites that Remington has thinned the jacket on their Core-Lokts thus making them expand more rapidly.

So, I'm asking if this is true first? And second, who used Core-Lokts last year and how did they work for you?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Remington Core-Lokts Changed?

I used 30-06 corelokts in 150 gr two years ago and it worked perfectly.

I don't know anything about changes in their jacket
Old 05-11-2005, 05:08 PM

don't know of any changes

but i used the core lokts last year and killed two deer with my 243 using them and one using my 270 130 gr bullets and they all work perfect
Old 05-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i haven't heard anything about changes either. but i used the 125 in my dad's 30-06 lst season and it worked fine.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:46 PM

I used them aswell in my .308 with 180 gr.

I've been using those to hunt deer for... (thinking)... about 10 years now and the deer dont seem to know the difference... if there is any.

I'll be trying them out in 2 weeks for bear so I'll let you know what M. Bear thinks.

edit: WOOO WEEE! you earned my first post on this forum! I am now a nice and yummy fawn!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:43 PM

I've been using Core Lokts all my life and have never lost a deer with them. Even if their design has changed, I'd never know the difference.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Core-Lokts have not changed, but Remington has added another bullet with a thicker jacket called the Core-Lokt Ultra. You are probably seeing advertising saying that the original Core-Lokts have a thin jacket. Just a bunch of advertising hype, though the Ultra is supposed to be a damn good bullet.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:11 PM

I wont purchase another Remington product ever again in my lifetime. But in all fairness it has nothing to do with the core lockt bullets performance, but rather the cartridge itself. Long story, but suffice to say the bullets performance on deer is great.....when the round goes off. Winchester Supremes 168 Gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips are my favorite.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Core-Lokts have not changed, but Remington has added another bullet with a thicker jacket called the Core-Lokt Ultra. You are probably seeing advertising saying that the original Core-Lokts have a thin jacket.
No this wasn't advertisements I was just reading through some forums at a few different hunting sights and noticed this mentioned twice in the same day of reading. They were very specifically speaking of the basic core-lokt and stating it as if the change was just a known fact. I personally haven't heard of it either. For Alabama whitetails which are rarely even 200 lbs I generally shoot whichever basic soft lead tip bullet a particular rifle seems to shoot well. Currently thats Hornady spire points and Winchester power points in my two main whitetail rifles but if a future gun liked core-lokts best I want them to still be an option. I don't like easily fragmenting bullets. I stay away from Sierra gamekings despite how well my guns shoot them because they are pretty fragile on large game. Thats why this rumour concerned me about core-lokts.

I have heard of the new Core-lokt Ultra also and agree it should be a fine bullet.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:57 PM

The original core lokts looked much like the current ultras except for the thickness of the jacket material. I'm not aware of any jacket thinning, but haven't used any lately. As time went by the cross section of the bullet where the cannelure indented the jacket into the core went away, and became just a straight wall.

Quick Reply: Remington Core-Lokts Changed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.