White Knuckle Productions The Official White Knuckle Productions Forum.

Using those trail cams

Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Spike

Default Using those trail cams

I know I am probably the only hardcore die hard whitetail hunter in the world that doesn't have a dozen trail cameras out, but it just makes me nervous, so much money hanging on a tree for the taking. However, I can't fight the urge any longer. This next spring I am going to jump on board and probably just start with a couple of cameras. I am leaning hard towards the Reconyx cameras. Any experience anyone has with them let me know. Also out of curiosity I was wondering what your primary use was and when you primarily use them. I am thinking about just using them to get an inventory, and probably putting them out from June until August. What do you think?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

I only have a couple also! lol. They say you can get away with one per one hundred acres. I find that if you can put down minerals legally in your state that it is easier to get an inventory of what is living on your property. If not put it on field edges, main trails to feed, etc. I use them all year round as they can give you valuable data.

Stan
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Spike

Thanks for the reply buddy! I assume you only use your trail cams for inventory then? I do have concerns about minerals as well though. See my hope is to hunt deer that live on the property and not ones that travel far and wide just for the minerals. Nothing worse then sitting all season waiting on a deer that never shows. In Indiana it is illegal to hunt any kind of bait. However I can put out mineral licks if I am not hunting near them. What has your experience been with minerals? I would love to get a ton of deer pictures, but prefer to know exactly what is on my land, and outside of the rut I may never see a neighboring buck.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Spike

Well, as for the way we use trail cams is to definately take an inventory of whats on the farm for the year, as well as see who made it through last year and how much they have grown. Definately the easiest way, if you can, is to use mineral blocks to get pics. That is, in the early season....As soon as the bucks espically 3 1/2's and up, shed the velvet, they dont come to the minerals hardly at all. Im sure you've noticed it too, the older deer become ghosts when they become hard horned. But I do have to say, the whole process of the trail camera is an absolute addiction. Its like christmas in july when you check your cards. Ok enough rambling...as for the camera you should choose...I dont mean to bash any company for there products but from my experiences, you get what you pay for. Ive ran alot of cams, Moultries, Cuddybacks, Scoutguards, Bushnells, Dlcs, Predator, and Reconyx. Along with all the fun of cameras come problems with all these cameras EXCEPT reconyx. I could count on two hands how many times ive sent cuddybacks in to get fixed, moultries have a slow slow trigger time and clicks with every picture it takes. scoutguard, bushnell and dlc are all pretty much the same camera, all of which ive had problems with. Enough bashing because im sure that everyone has had there own experiences but in my opinion go with reconyx. Last year was my first year using them, and one of my RC 55's that i had out from june to november, took 12,517 images without changing the batteries. Spend the extra money and get it over with, AMESOME AWESOME cams with everything you could ever want. wow, long post, but i hope it helps some !
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Spike

Thanks for the awesome replies. The HC600 just came in the mail today and I am at work!!! I am freaking pumped!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice on the camera and as stated, it usually becomes way more than just taking inventory of your property. It really does become an addiction. I have about ten different brands of cameras and simply put, nothing compares to the Reconyx. Plus if you ever need them, their customer service is second to none. After you start getting pictures, come visit the trailcam section and "let's see what you got."

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 08-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

I am in the same boat as you, except im buying a 2 megapixel cheap 1 first.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Spike

Pastor Jim, Thanks for the reply, and I will definitely post some pics if I get anything decent. The bucks should be shedding their velvet in the next couple of weeks so I am not extremely hopeful of great pics this year. We are going to give it a try any how! The plan is to put the camera out this Saturday. I am still terrified of possible thievery but I guess I am just going to have to get over that. I noticed the great buck in your avitar and that you are from Indiana as well. Always nice to talk with other Hoosiers. If you are ever in South Eastern Indiana perhaps we could have a cup of coffee and chat for a bit as my two favorite topics are the Lord and bowhunting