Community
White Knuckle Productions The Official White Knuckle Productions Forum.

Purchasing Cam

Old 08-28-2008, 05:13 PM

Default Purchasing Cam

Todd, and Walt. I have been doing the research on the best cam to get for filming hunts and scouting. This one I am getting has a min lux rating of 0.18. It should be awesome. I know putting all my eggs in one basket may be silly to some, but this cam seems to be the easiest for me to use. It stores all the footage on SXS cards just as memory cards. They are expensive though. The cam I am going to get is the

SONY PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX HD Camcorder
If you guys heard any negativity on it, let me know. I have to dip into my "secret account" or my wife would shoot me. Let me know if you have any knowledge on this cam.

Jason
Old 08-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Purchasing Cam

IMO - The Sony PD-170 is pretty tough to beat. I know nothing about those other cameras but don't know anyone who is using one?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Jason, From what Ive heard of that cam is that it rocks but the cards are sooooo expensive. Like $800 for one. You could always run an exturnal hard drive too with some of the other HD cams. Have you looked at the JVC HD200? I had the chance to film a fishing show using one of those and a XH A1 both in the same day. Both were set up with an external hard drive. The big draw back with the JVC is it is man. focus but its a sweet cam. I think for the money you would be happy with the XH A1. The A1 is alot cheaper and then you could put the other cash into accessories. Heck if you bought 2 or 3 cards alone for the EX you would almost pay for a XH A1. If you want the Sony then you cant go wrong if youve got the cash to do it. I mean its not like youd be unhappy with the EX1.

Jay
Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 PM

Thanks, for the input. You make some valid points there. Yea, you are right, those cards are expensive. I will look into the Canon.

Jason
Old 08-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Jay, I looked into that cam, and the specs look great. I have been loyal to sony for most electronics, but I like what I see there, and I could get all the extras. The one thing I could not find was digitized zoom, I know the optical is 20X. What are the best tapes to purchase also? Thanks for your help.

Jason
Old 08-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a buddy who is going to be selling his PD-170 - incase anyone is interested!
Old 08-30-2008, 06:39 PM

Todd,
Sent you an email about that camera. I might be interested. Thanks
Old 08-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Jason Cuda

Jay, I looked into that cam, and the specs look great. I have been loyal to sony for most electronics, but I like what I see there, and I could get all the extras. The one thing I could not find was digitized zoom, I know the optical is 20X. What are the best tapes to purchase also? Thanks for your help.

Jason
Not to butt in but rule number 1 in video is never use the digital zoom. The 20X optical is all you want and need.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Pass_Thru
The big draw back with the JVC is it is man. focus but its a sweet cam.

Jay
Rule number 2 is never use the Auto Focus feature. Having only manual focus should not be a drawback at all, let alone a big one.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Urban, I hear ya, and understand what you are saying. My concern was mostly for filming longer range shots for Velvet footage. The 20X optical is more than enough for the thicker timber here in the Northeast where I do a majority of my hunting. Thanks bud.

Jason

Quick Reply: Purchasing Cam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.