Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Vendor Forums > White Knuckle Productions
 Last minute second season bird. >

Last minute second season bird.

White Knuckle Productions The Official White Knuckle Productions Forum.

Last minute second season bird.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 PM

Default Last minute second season bird.

Started off Saturday by waking up at 3:45 and left by 4:10. Boy was itc cold, a whopping 33 degrees. Got set up in my blind about 20 minutes before daylight on my Grandpas 40. My spot is a flat area on top off a bluff that is pretty open for his area. Sat till 9:00 and I didnt even see or hear a turkey. I decided to go to my areas about 20 miles away that I always have had good luck (area where my mom missed). Before I got my vest and B-mobile ready I heard a gobble. Threw everything on and got set up about 150 yards away on a field edge. Started callng an he answered. After about 20 minutes he never came in, but I called in his two tens. The boss hen had to have been on of the best experiences Ive had while turkey hunting. She came into four yards calling and making noises Ive never heard a turkey do. The sun was shining on her and I could see every little detail on her. It was an experience I will never forget. As she was leaving I noticed something red up in the woods and I realized it was the gobbler. I called to him and he replied immediately and at this point Im thinking I have a dead bird on the ground. It turned out to be that he is scared of B-mobile, a subordinate bird. He basically stood in the same place starring at my decoys for over 30 minutes. My butt was starting to hurt so bad because I set up so fast that I didnt even move any sticks or anything. I then stopped at a friend house a few minutes down the road to go to the bathroom and get a bite to eat and drink. I was right back out after that. Set up in the woods. Had toms gobbling, but they wouldnt come in. They must have been with hens. At 330 I figured they would be headed up to the fields so I went back to my spot I had the encounter with the tom earlier. I had the same tom gobbling again and he was just strutting back and forth the same as he had been the past 5 hours. He wasnt coming in so I made a move and got in where he would be coming back. Had him at prob. 60 yards, but he wouldnt commit after 45 minutes so I figured he was gone. I walked his direction and he flew with a hen. Ended up being 60-70 yards from where I was set up. I then noticed about 10 hens, two jakes, and two gobblers at about 1000 yards in the field (its a 50 acre field). In order to get to these birds and I would have to do alot of crawling and sneaking through the woods. I got within 80 yards without getting busted. They had the option of roosting in two areas. No decoys or calling at this spot. I was just going to wait for them to come by. Well I could see the hens and gobblers were going a different way and the jake were coming my way. It was 640 and I had very little time to try to get those gobblers. I decided I would settle for a jake considering it was the last day of my season. The bigger one got to 15 yards and I smoked him.

Ya he is a jake, but in my mind he is just as good or even better than a gobbler taken on the first day. Shot him at 640. It was the worst weather season I have ever hunted and Im proud of my jake .

Mouth call still in my mouth....bad idea!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 PM

Default RE: Last minute second season bird.

A jake was my first bird, it still counts.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 PM

First jake Ive ever killed. Ive always passed on them in the past, but I felt like taking this one. Rest of the year Ill prob. use my bow.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Great story & bird!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Congrads. Great pic.

Aaron
Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

awesome man
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Great bird!! Gotta be fun knowing there are so many birds on the property you hunt.

Stan