Community
White Knuckle Productions The Official White Knuckle Productions Forum.

Video Cameras

Old 07-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Video Cameras

I started out my filming carrer with a canon GL1 and then I bought a canon XL1 but had some issues with low light that was just killing us. So Tater bought the sony PD-170 and as far as I'm concerned it blows away the canons when it comes to low light. Steve can actully film me when I couldn't shoot a deer at 10 yards and make it it look great. But the canons rock with there zoom by far superior to the sony's. So you have to decide are you going to filming alot of feilds then the canon might be what you are looking for but for us the low light and being able to film right till hunter can't was more important. Walt
Old 07-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I just seen a post with 2 used GL2's for 1500.00...
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2204479

Old 07-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Canon GL2 is a nice camera - there are a ton of guys using them, myself included. The PD-170 is a sweet camera, but most guys can't afford to drop $3,000-4,000 on a set-up. In this case, Canon's can be bought for around $1,500 used, and offer most guys more camera than they will ever need.

As far as the low-light argument goes, in our opinion the difference between any of these cameras at low-light isn't significant. This comes from my cameraman Kyle who filmed all of my stuff for the video (with GL2's, Hi-end Sony production cameras, Sony PD-170's, and XL1s). If you have seen the video you would see Kyle knows what he's doing in the video department. I'm still learning!
Old 07-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

I've been shooting video for over 20 years professionally. I personally use a Canon XL2 but in my opinion recommending a camera for anyone is like trying to choose between bows, cars, and guns.
Everybody has their favorites and the best thing to do is shop carefully and choose one that works best with you in your budget. Nuff said.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Amen to that!!! Well said!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Spike

Looking to buy a GL2 camera or Sony video camera to start videotaping hunts...I'm a beginner so looking for something used or new at a reasonable price....E-mail me at [email protected]
Old 08-12-2007, 11:30 AM
DV1
Spike

I have a few GL2's and accessories. They do a great job. Can be outfitted with bigger batteries and shotgun mic for a little more $$and still have a great camera set-up for less than just the sony camera. I agree they lack something in low ight, but since I've never used a sony, I don't know how much better they are. I don't sell anything and just do it for my own enjoyment, so the GL2 is more than enough.

One thing to consider about HD is that if you are planning on just doing your own thing, or even wanting to do some of your own editing for a commercial production, HD files are HUGE and you will need a serious editing system to handle those files. I do all my editing with Adobe Premier on my home computer and have no problems, but then again, it's not like I'm selling anything.

Here is a video summary of our season in 2006. The quality on youtube stinks but all this was shot with gl2's. Crystal clear on my TV, but youtube compression seriously degrades the video quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsioaV_Lz7U
Old 08-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

DV1,
Nice job on your video clip. I really liked what I saw. Congrats!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:41 PM
DV1
Spike

Thanks Mr. Droptine. I really have fun doing it.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having used all the cameras mentioned so far in this thread extensively, I can offer this.......

Canon GL2, XL1, XL2.........EXCELLENT video capabilities!
Great 20x optical zoom!
Best freehand units going!
No pro audio on the GL2 or XL1.....but it can be added via a Beachtek box.
Absolutely pathetic low light filming, regardless of how much you turn up the gain and slow down the shutter speed.

Sony PD170.......Very good video, more hunting stuff has made it to DVD and TV via a PD170 than any other unit.
12x optical zoom....good for bowhunting, but it ain`t a Canon.
Simply CANNOT freehand these cameras.
Pro audio....YES. Twin XLR ports built in.
Sony PD170 wrote the book on lowlight filming........you will get 15-20 minutes more quality film time each morning, and again each evening over the cameras discussed above.

I also run a Sony HVR-Z1U, which is an HD unit. It is sweet, and it comes fairly close to the lowlight capabilites of the PD170. You can film in SD or HD with the flip of a switch.

Canon makes a new HD unit called the XH-1A.........now this unit has it ALL!!
20X Canon optical zoom!
Same freehand capabilities as the other Canons discussed!
Pro Audio? It`s in there!!
Awesome LCD screen, much better than the GL2`s!
Lowlight capabilities.....within 5 minutes of a PD170!!!!

Now, if this new Canon holds up like the Sony`s do, it will be a clearcut winner for most hunting video guys/gals!!

As someone else already mentioned.......B&H PhotoVideo is the place to go.....

Quick Reply: Video Cameras

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.