Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Moving to Washington... >

Moving to Washington...

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Moving to Washington...

Old 04-15-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Moving to Washington...

Hey everyone! My submarine (currently stationed in GA) is moving to WA this October. I am a newbie hunter (as in first timer) and I've already posted in other forums about this. I was mainly just posting here for advice on hunting public property up there and the best location to do so. Also, what are the rules on ATV's on public land? I would like to get an ATV for trail riding (if you know of some places to ride, post websites if you can) and possibly hunting if it's allowed. I don't really want to ride right up to the stand, but I know that it will allow me to get further away from others. Also, if you know of a good hunt club, tell me all about it. Remember, I'm in the military so I'm not paid alot.

Thanks in advance,
-Barry-

P.S. I'm currently looking at a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 7mm mag. If anyone has any advice about this rifle, I'd appreciate it. Also, tell me what you think about that caliber for hunting up there.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:20 PM

Default RE: Moving to Washington...

Where in Washington are you moving? If it's more SW Washington, then we will be fairly close; I live just north of Eugene, Oregon, about 2 hours from the OR/WA border. Always looking for someone willing to hunt with me. lol. Be interested to find out where you're going to be. Take care.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you will be stationed at Sumarine base Bangor/Hood Canal. There are many of us out here who will help you out on your questions. Many are out scouting gobblers or some other outdoor activities (snowmobiling myself) this weekend. You will soon get many responses to your questions since we all appreciate your service in our defense. Just give us a bit......We'l get back to ya!!
Old 04-16-2005, 05:11 PM

You are correct, I will be stationed at Bangor, or NSB Kitsap as I think they renamed it. I will hunt with anyone that can provide me any knowledge whatsoever, as long as they are safe. We can drink our butts off once we get back to camp, but not with the guns.

Enough of the safety stuff, I can't wait to get up there. Down here in GA is fairly boring. I here so many stories about hiking/camping/hunting/mudding/etc. that I've been looking forward to it since I found out. I can't wait to go hunting. I also love to shoot skeet/sporting clays so if you're in to that, that's cool. I'm probably the only guy at my club that uses a pump shotgun (let alone a Nova) but I'm decent with it and to me it's a 'real' gun, not a 'trailer queen.'

Nice to meet you guys.

-Barry-
Old 04-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Hi jacobi

I live in Vancouver WA and have a friend that is a sub tech there in bangor Who also is a hunter let me know if you would like to connect up with him he can tell ya all the in's and outs of hunting our beautiful State.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:42 PM

I live just outside the NBK base. When will you be here? Let me know and I'll show you around the area and show you some hunting places.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:10 PM

You'll be just a short ride away from the Olympics, there is a lot of public land out there to hunt and a lot of private timber land. And usually they allow for walkin hunting, but no vehicles. Also you'll be very close to some great fishing, Salmon, Halibut, and trout too. A good freind of mine was stationed there years back and he hunted and fished his buttkus off