Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Trophy mulies? >

Trophy mulies?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Trophy mulies?

Old 04-01-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Trophy mulies?

Anyone have any stats or views on quality mule deer hunts in the west. Where have the largest mule deer from the past few years come from. Colorado's Western slope? Utah? Nevada? Wyoming? Any areas of mule deer actually doing well and producting record bucks? TIA
Old 04-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trophy mulies?

This would not be montana. Montana rifle hunts in the rut.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:44 PM

i live in wyoming, there are some real nice bucks here. but next year i am going on a trophy muley hunt, and it sure is NOT in wyoming!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

wanting a 200 incher huh??
dont we all. they are out there though. wyoming does have some, regions g and h for non residents. not a sure thing getting a tag though.

then again, that will probably be your biggest obstacle. premium tags arent easy to come by. the kaibab in arizona, and the paunsagant in utah are sorta like winning the lottery. im sure there are other areas that may suit your needs. i reccommend you make some calls, and check out some magazines. garth carter hunter services maybe your best bet. he can advise ya where to go.. i dont have his phone number handy, but look it up on line, you can find it. also, ryan hatch of muley crazy magazine could probably help ya. mike eastman of eastmans magazine too. rusty hall of trophy hunter magazine too maybe?
i would do some internet checking on these guys, and give em a call. garth carter has quite a reputation for putting people on trophies
brad
Old 04-05-2005, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: mrbriggs

Anyone have any stats or views on quality mule deer hunts in the west. Where have the largest mule deer from the past few years come from. Colorado's Western slope? Utah? Nevada? Wyoming? Any areas of mule deer actually doing well and producting record bucks? TIA
Colorado has had good weather for the last several year and good management (talk about a huge change in policy over the last 20 years)... that is the place to shoot a stroker buck.

Arizona is going to be another state that will produce stroker bucks this year. With a great winter, the horn growth on the Kaibab and Strip are going to be the best in years.

New Mexico is another state that is going to have a banner year in terms of horn growth because of their amazing winter. Unfortunately, due to genetics, I doubt that many stroker bucks will come out of New Mexico this year.

Utah's top units, while many are starting to rebound, have been living off reputation for many years. I mean if you want to shoot a nice buck, you can pay for one on like the Heaton and etc.

A couple of Nevada's top units have been doing the same thing... living off reputation but slowly rebuilding... thanks NDOW for transplanting Elk into the premier units!

Idaho has been is a drought... as has Montana... as Wyoming...

Again, especially, if you are looking at a public land hunt, my choice would be Arizona followed Colorado.

SA
Old 04-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Eastmans Big Game Hunting Journal, its the best mag as far as where to go for trophy elk and mule deer.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The north west part of Colorado had some pretty good muley territory!
Old 04-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

definitely not Utah, we don't have any deer, not even does!
Old 04-08-2005, 08:30 PM

A few years back I hunted the flat tops mountains just east of Grand Junction. I was bow hunting for elk I thought until I saw the biggest mulies I had ever seen on TV or otherwise. This group would stay out in the middle of a huge sage area and you could see their antlers as they bedded like television towers. I tried sneaking on my hands and knees multiple times over long distances only to get busted at about 75 yards. BIG MOOEYS!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado,Kansas,Utah,Neveda, and Alberta.Those would be your best bet,MT and WY still have good bucks but few and far between.

I shot a 189 7/8 mulie 5 years ago here in Montana,and have not seen one better than that since.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Trophy mulies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.