Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Meeker Col

Old 03-25-2005, 07:27 AM

Default Meeker Col

Going on the third hunt for Elk , staying at Wilsons Park, any help would be great,,,
Old 03-25-2005, 03:13 PM

Default RE: Meeker Col

What's the GMU number?
Old 03-26-2005, 08:21 AM

Unit 24
Old 03-27-2005, 06:43 AM

Hi Billb,
Below is some info for you. I couldn't find Wilson's Park on any of my topo maps so I don't know the exact area of the unit you will be staying, but I'm sure you will have a good time.[8D]

Unit Description: Those portions of Rio Blanco and Garfield Coun-ties bounded on the north by the Williams Fork River-White River divide; on the east by the White River-Yampa River divide and the White River-Colorado River divide; on the south by the South Fork of the White River-Colorado River divide; and on the west by USFS Primary Forest Rd 245 and Rio Blanco Co Rds 17 (Buford-Newcastle Rd), and 8 and USFS Rd 250.

Elevation: Ranges from 7,000 at Buford to 12,001 at Trappers Peak.

Terrain: South Fork-North Fork (White River) and Marvine Creek are the major drainages with fairly steep terrain to the rim of the Flattops, that is between 10,000 and 11,000 feet. North side of the White River has easier terrain.

Vegetation: North side has more Aspen parks and meadows getting in more spruce fir as you go east. Below rim mostly beetle kill spruce-fir. Flattops contain spruce-fir interspersed with large meadows.

Weather: Snowstorms can strand hunters on Flattops especially late October and November. Early seasons best on top; north side 4X4 roads can get impassable.

Land Status: River bottom on lower North Fork and South Fork contains private lands. Most of the unit is wilderness or restricted to foot and horseback use only. Check Forest Service maps.

Hunter Access: No access problems; see vehicle restrictions.

Elk Recommendation: Individual hunting areas determined by mode of transportation. Most of the unit has motor vehicle restrictions. Packing into Flattop can be done via South Fork; Marvine or Trappers Lake trailheads. Be prepared for heavy hunting pressure especially out of campgrounds and major trailheads. Sleepy Cat Sand Peak has 4X4 roads into higher country. Elk can be found anywhere in this unit but tend to concentrate below the rims just prior to rifle seasons.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:23 AM

Finaddict, thanks for the info, Do you know how bad is the sick elk in the area,,, Bill
Old 03-28-2005, 11:28 AM

All I can tell you is that the numbers for CWD are done by DAU (Data Analysis Unit) which includes 12 GMU's (Game Management Units) and the numbers are high for that DAU because it has the most GMU's in it. It looks to me like the numbers are on a steady decline for the past 3 years which is a good sign. Here's a link to the Colorado Department of Wildlife web page on CWD. [link]http://wildlife.state.co.us/CWD/[/link]
I'm hunting in a CWD unit this year myself and I can only say that I will only shoot an animal that looks healthy and then have it tested for CWD after. Hope this helps