Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Toms are starting to Gobble ! >

Toms are starting to Gobble !

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Toms are starting to Gobble !

Old 03-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Toms are starting to Gobble !

That's great that you guys are hearing some birds over there. But like Slee said we don't wanna be hunting silent toms after the peak breeding. I was gonna head out today or tomorrow but decided to hold off till next weekend to listen for any gobbling. Last year I don't think they started gobbling around here until April. So I better not get my hopes up. I probably won't hunt this side of the state too hard. My dad, cousin, and I will probably head over to the east side near Hunters anyways. Always more fun with more birds to hunt for.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:58 PM

I don't know if I'm gonna be able to stand it much longer....then seeing that nice pic from doc , bout sent me through the roof..... Like everyone else my only fear is that opening day is going to be the lull of the season....
Old 03-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

There gobblin here in Montana. Caught these hens and little tom in the driveway this morning as they approched the gobbler wasn't to happy. He charged me at 20 feet, hissed, fanned out and gobbled. They walked off into the woods with Tom mad as hell gobbling away.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:59 PM

Wayne the way you use your Backwoods Turkey Call im sure them toms will be running to you from 100 yards away!!!! Gobble Gobble Gobble!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

I heard my first gobble on this side of the mountains Friday morning. Only one tom but better than nothing. I hope this rain fades away and they really got hot. Season is just 5 days away.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:07 PM

Now that the season is going on (since the 15th) is there still gobbling activity in the middle and eastern areas of WA and OR? I travel down for 2 weeks of chasing toms in OR starting next week and just curious about how the weather has affected the breeding cycle?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:11 AM

I was hunting in the Chewelah, Collville area from the 15th to the 17th and they seemed to me that they gobbled like crazy the 15th but slowed down dramaticly the next couple days probably due to hunting pressure and the cool down in the weather. I am no expert on turkeys though. I did manage to get my first one opening day though. It's better to be lucky than good.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

Phish On, I'd say it is a mixed bag. The birds were gobbling on the roost and at fly-down, but then tightlipped after that. Most are with hens, but I think the hens are starting to sit on the nest. If this weather stabilizes, it should be good. Mid-morning should be better in the next week or two. If you can stay with a flock long enough for the hens to nest, he should come in on a rope. I wish I was heading back over this weekend, but I'm probably done for the season. Can't get another weekend off to drive to Colville, and the birds are too hard to chase around here for just a half-day hunt(which is all the wife would agree to if I stay around here).
Old 04-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got mine at about 5:45 on Saturday, 9" ..in Idaho.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:58 AM

Thanks for the responses H2H and slee.

I've got a little time to check things out. I was hoping for some mid-morning action - maybe I will luck out afterall!

Best of luck to everyone with the remainder of the NW seasons - its been a long wait.

Quick Reply: Toms are starting to Gobble !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.