Western Montana Turkey hunting >

Western Montana Turkey hunting

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Western Montana Turkey hunting

Old 02-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Western Montana Turkey hunting

Although I am from Montana I am not very familiar with the area around Missoula and the west end. Can anyone give me any information on hunting turkeys in this neck of the woods?? I am basiclly looking for places that they are located.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Western Montana Turkey hunting

Turkey's are a funny thing. Lived over in Clinton, to Potomic over to Alberton and Lolo, over the last 15 years and hadn't seen many turkey's in that many years in the area. They seem to be popping up everywhere nowadays.
Down here in the Southern Bitteroot where I live anyway they are like fly's and not really a challenge to hunt.
Your in Missoula, I would go over to the Fish and Game and talk with those folks as they have been planting them for years and could point you in the right direction.
There is a lot of block management units. I am looking at the 2003 giude and none show Turkey as a huntable species, but I bet that has changed. There are 7 or so area's between Lolo and Hamilton. The last few years I have seen Turkey's standing on Hwy 93. Some of these area's require you to draw a permit so you might want to check into that as spring is on it's way.
Thats where I would start.
Good Luck
Old 02-20-2005, 10:19 AM

I think it is tough to draw around Missoula, but if you do I would look at Wallace or Rock creek towards Clinton and even Miller creek just south of Missoula. Call MFWP and they will might give you some names of people who want to get rid of a few. It seems people start feeding them and then they become a pest crapping all over the place. I got one in the bitterroot from a guy like that 2 years ago. I could have shot one out of his yard but elected to go up the creek and put out a decoy and called. It was a kick. 2point
Old 02-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2point
It seems people start feeding them and then they become a pest crapping all over the place.
Thats the exact problem where I live.