Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Oregon

Old 01-20-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Oregon

I have 7 preferance points for elk and 6 for deer. I am a resident and have been bow hunting for the last several years but am probrably going rifle this year. What unit would you use these points on? Thank you
Old 01-20-2005, 09:58 PM

Default RE: Oregon

My boss hunts the Malheur River north of Stinking water, The elk herd is small and spred out, The deer herd is a little bigger and he has taken some nice bucks. I have bow hunted the Silvies unit near Yellowjacket Lake I saw some nice elk and a few big bucks, But there is that same old thing called A LOT OF PEOPLE.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:19 PM

What side of the mountain are you planning to hunt on. How much time are you going to hunt. 7 points may not get you a shot at the silvies unit. You have more animals on the west side than we have over here on the east side any more.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:20 PM

I hunt the east side , if rifle I stay for the season. If bow I can hunt almost any unit, NE units spike or cow though. With 7 points I dont think Silvies would be a good way to dump my points. I would think that maybe the best choice will be to stick with a bow and go to Walla Walla. Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:17 AM

The Wenaha unit is supposed to be a real awsome hunt for elk, but even with seven points your chances of getting it would be slim. You might look into hunting in the Powers unit. The bow hunt is an awsome hunt. BIG BULLS!! The quality of the deer hunting in the east is declining every year I hunt the Murderers Creek unit and have killed a four point every year I've hunted it But last year was really tough hunting. If I had your points I would be putting them towards the Hart Mt. muzzleloader hunt. It would definately be worth buying or borrowing a muzzleloader. Biggest bucks in the state!!