Casey IS going to be a daddy >

Casey IS going to be a daddy

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Casey IS going to be a daddy

Old 01-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Casey IS going to be a daddy

I just got an email from "Lily's parents" -- They just had an ultrasound done on her and she has a minimum of 6 pups -- possibly as many as 10.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cassey IS going to be a daddy

John sent me an e-mail Doc...asked me what I wanted...a male, or female. Told him I had no preferance...and wanted you to help me pick it out.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:25 PM

Keep us updated, cuz I want a CIGAR!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WAYNE1

John sent me an e-mail Doc...asked me what I wanted...a male, or female. Told him I had no preferance...and wanted you to help me pick it out.
I don't think that the sex of a dog is a big deal. You do need to remember that when a female is in heat, their brains kind of fall out for about 3 weeks or so. And, of course, they always seem to want to come into heat right during an important training period or hunting season [] Then, on the other hand, males "are always in heat"

When the pups are 5 weeks old and again at 6 weeks old, you and I will go out and do a little "puppy testing" (and look at which ones will likely be pointers and which ones are more likely to be flushers). You do kind of need to make a decision on sex pretty soon though -- John will need to base deposits and "pick order" pretty soon.

Are you going to look for a Flusher or a Pointer? Be aware that Pointing dogs take almost twice as much training time as flushers do, and bird introduction at the proper age (about the first of June for this litter) is very important, which is no big deal -- 'cause we got lots of training birds.

BTW, we're leaving town today, and will be back on the 16th.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Doc....Just recieved an e-mail from John....said I had first pick...
Old 01-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Diane and myself went over to John & Donell's home to got to meet Lily..Beautifull Lab, with a great disposition..Gave them money for a pup......Now the big.."WAIT"
Old 01-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you thinking that you will want one that points or one that flushes?
Old 01-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

been thinking maybe a pointer Doc..
Old 01-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WAYNE1

been thinking maybe a pointer Doc..
Cool -- I just want you to be aware that training a PL takes about twice as much time (the first year) as training one that flushes -- after the first year, the training time (tune-ups) are the same for either variety.

If you are going to get one that is inclined to point, then you need to order (NOW) a book called, "The Pointing Labrador", by Paul and Julie Knutson -- check to see if amazon.com has it -- I **think** they might have a special on it now.

No matter which variety you want, you also need to get "Smartwork" (and "Smartfetch")
by Evan Graham -- check amazon for prices as well as the prices at www.coonriverkennels.com IF you are thinking that you *might* want to run the pooch in Field Tests, then you also need to get "Smartwork" (vol. II). If it's not going to be a Field Test dog, then "Smartwork" (I) will be all ya need -- but my hunch is that once you see how smart and easily tranable these pups are going to be, you might think about Field Tests as well (that's what happened to us and Casey) -- it's certainly your choice.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm partly ahead of ya Doc...lol...I already orderd "The Pointing Labrador", by Paul and Julie Knutson , and also the "10 minute Retriver you've talked so much about...Guess I'll have to order the other book's you've suggested. I know that it's going to take a comitment to trainning, but I'm excited about it, and have a new desire....Thank's for all your help Doc.....sure hope you'll be available for ton's and ton's of Question's once I get started...That first 6 month's I know is going to seem to take forever before we can start formal trainning...

Quick Reply: Casey IS going to be a daddy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.