Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 NEED HELP-elk hunting MT district 700--fort peck-CMR--invitation? >

NEED HELP-elk hunting MT district 700--fort peck-CMR--invitation?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

NEED HELP-elk hunting MT district 700--fort peck-CMR--invitation?

Old 09-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NEED HELP-elk hunting MT district 700--fort peck-CMR--invitation?

I was rewarded with a rifle permit for bull elk in region 700,701,703. I am a whitetail/ turkey hunter from WV who moved to MT (helena) last year. never been elk hunting before but am going to give it my best. I have lots of time this fall and want to try it without an outfitter. Does anybody have any info about elk hunting this region (other than contacting the fwp). I am thinking of boating and camping on the south side of ft peck lake for a week or longer. Like I said, I am new around here and dont know many other elk hunters. Also, I would rather share my camp with someone, so if anyone else would want to go hunting there for elk or deer (general tag area)--I have got all the gear, and a boat and will buy all the food--Thank You
Old 09-14-2004, 01:58 PM

Default RE: NEED HELP-elk hunting MT district 700--fort peck-CMR

you should go to your local sporting goods /gun store and ask around, someone should have some info and your bound to run across some die hard elk hunters. might want to try the rocky mountain elk foundation, their office is in missoula, not sure what info they could provide but may be able to point you in the right direction.

i'm not framiliar with the fort peck area but would suspect if you are going late in the season it would be pretty much froze up.

is that a draw permit, only asking because there is allot of national forest between helena and missoula/great falls with good elk populations, you use to also be able to hunt seban ranch right outside of helena.

i'm not shy about hunting an area, get up there poke around and hopefully you'll see some sign, if not move on and cover as much ground as you can because they run around allot depending on the weather and hunting pressure. from my experience you gotta look harder for the elk but when you find them it's no different than blasting a deer, all the same hunting principles apply. if you come on a big herd place your shot carefully because they will bunch up and it's really easy to shoot the wrong one or get a pass through and end up with 2.

and most importantly before you pull the trigger think really hard about how bad you want it because you gotta carry it out.

when you get there stop by the local bar, you should be able to find out the areas where people are having some luck.

good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEED HELP-elk hunting MT district 700--fort peck-CMR

It is a fairly coveted (i'm told) special permit (125 issued about 1500 applied)--so it is definately the area Im gonna concentrate on. Also supposed to be good for big mulies. Thanks for your imput. I'm gonna work hard and I'll let you know. Good luck this fall
Old 09-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEED HELP-elk hunting MT district 700--fort peck-CMR--invitation?

Ok guys--I might have my plans worked out a little better. I found a possible guide to go with but he can not go until later in the season. I however am still going to district 700 to hunt elk/mulies early on and I wondered if there is anyone out there who would like to go with or would let me tag along. I can pull my own weight and am really looking for someone just to share camp with--I have lots of gear, am a decent cook and dont snore.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:17 AM

Hill Billy,

I sent you an email, but wanted to also let you know here. I'll be in MT to hunt that same area this fall. I've been in some of that country, but not enough to really feel comfortable going it alone.

Either way, I'd like to talk to you about your plans.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am wide open to discussing options and I have been gleaning as much info as I can. I am sending you an email--I did not receive any from you but am unsure if I have my account set up right since I am new to this format. Let me know if you received mine. Thanks, HB

Look forward to talking with you
Old 10-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Glasgow and hunt the north side of the lake a lot. I have been across to hunt mule deer several time. I would give you the following advice.

1. Don't plan on boating and hunting. Purely my own opinion but with the lake at its all time low you don't gain an advantage.

2. Boating and camping on shore also leaves more exposed to the weather especially the wind. The waves can be huge on Fort Peck.

3. Stay at the Hell Creek Camp ground and spike out if you can.

4. Let your spotting scope cover the ground for you. Get as high as you can and then spend a lot of time glassing.

5. Practice field judging elk. This is a primo hunt. There are people locally who wait their entire lives to draw this hunt ONCE. Don't shoot the first raghorn bull you see. If It were my tag and I had all season to hunt I would hold out for at least a 350 bull and they are there.

6. Be prepared for some really rough and remote country. Have a good first aid kit and a survival kit to at least get you through a couple of nights. If you have a GPS use it. It is very easy to get turned around.

7. If it rains and the roads turn to the famous gumbo mud. Don't try to drive on them. Since you have time just sit tight and they will dry out. If you haven't expeirenced eastern Montana gumbo you are in for a treat. It is like a mixture of axle grease and peanut butter.

8. Enjoy some of the most spectacular and rugged beauty on earth and kill a big bull

Good luck

Nemont
Old 10-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nemont,

Thanks for the advice. Every bit helps I am sending you an email

Thanks again

Chad (hillbilly)
Old 10-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

. If it rains and the roads turn to the famous gumbo mud. Don't try to drive on them. Since you have time just sit tight and they will dry out. If you haven't expeirenced eastern Montana gumbo you are in for a treat. It is like a mixture of axle grease and peanut butter.
Nemont you are 100% correct. I carry two sets of Heavy duty tires chains with me at all times. You never know when (rain or snow) you might need them?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Hillbilly,
I never saw an email from you. You can private message me if you want.

I have heard of a couple of great bulls the archery hunters have taken out of 700 alread this year.

I would also add that you should aquire a range finder as elk are much bigger then deer and it is easy to miss because you estimated the yardage wrong.

Nemont

Quick Reply: NEED HELP-elk hunting MT district 700--fort peck-CMR--invitation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.