Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Northern East side WA Elk >

Northern East side WA Elk

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Northern East side WA Elk

Old 09-08-2004, 05:08 AM

Default Northern East side WA Elk

Hey guys I was hoping just for some basic info( No honey hole) but just a good area to start researching for a late season Elk hunt. Where's a good place to start north of Hwy 2? I know they aren't super abundant but I know they're up there

Also is there any public land in the Cheney and Steptoe? I know that's on the far east side but figured I'd throw that in too.

Thanks all.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:49 PM

Default RE: Northern East side WA Elk

Trapper, I would head up into huckleberry area if it is open. Also the 49* area is loaded with animals. Cheney/Steptoe is too but it is ALL private land. I think it is actually called turnbull. But nevertheless, there is elk over there. You just have to locate them. I have seen several small heards driving east on I 90 in the evening and early morning. They seem to be in this one patch of evergreens that is just outside of cheney.
Patrick Shea is the name of one of the land owners that has 2,000 acres out there. He may be in the phone book and maybe worth a try.

Good luck-
Elk101
Old 09-09-2004, 05:36 PM

Thanks I'll look into it, I got a spot for the Early ML season, but I was looking at the late season...ain't many options[:'(] I'm heading over near Sherman for Early though...got an Uncle who has got them under his eye all up til season...and I guess he's about the only guy who knows about that herd.

Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:04 AM

Trapper- also you may want to check out mica peak for the late season. I thought you were talkin about the early season. Sorry. Go up mica peak from the south side of the mountain, you have to cross a gate that may or may not be open but it is a legal hunting area. Lots of animals all over that mountain. lots of moose too. I have seen most of the elk heard down low early in the season.

Best of luck, I am heading to the bumping on the 1st with a cow tag. Wish me luck

Dave
Old 09-24-2004, 07:39 AM

Thanks Dave, I was just talking to a buddy who lives over in Spokane about Mica, I'll look into it, thanks again and GOOD LUCK!!