AZ Mulies info ..please >

AZ Mulies info ..please

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

AZ Mulies info ..please

Old 02-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default AZ Mulies info ..please

Anyone living in AZ or has hunted there alone I am looking for some input or suggestions for Mulies (muzzleloader). Assuming I can get a tag for a non resident this would be a very inexpensive hunt for me because I have a place to stay, Just South of Phoenix.
Would love to chase Elk but, alone this is an issue, plus I believe the Northern part of the state Unit 8, 9 or 10 is the proper location.
Any help anyone can send my way for a solo hunter wishing to hunt mulies with a muzzleloader would be appreciated.
I have never hunted AZ nor have I ever hunted Mulies before
Your Thoughts??
I will contact the F&G department also. Thanks Again!
Old 02-08-2004, 12:50 PM

Default RE: AZ Mulies info ..please

[8D]I'm also not from Arizona but do hunt in that state. The biggest problem that you will have is obtaining a tag to hunt. For mulies the best areas will be in the northern part of the state. By far the best and also the hardest to draw is the Kaibab units, 12A and 12B. Best time to hunt will be as late in the season as you can get the tags (Rut Hunt). The draw odds for non-residents are not all that good. There is places just north of Phoenix, in units 6A, 22, and 8 that are good, but again the draw odds are tough. I currently have 4 bonus points for deer and am trying to wait it out to get a 12a west late hunt. I'll probally wait a long time. This past year I drew an elk tag for Archery Unit 1 after 7 years of applying. This was one great hunt. Lots and lots of nice elk. I too am a solo hunter. If you have different weapon types that you can hunt with other that blackpowder then give it a go. Arizona is a must apply state, but you have to purchase a hunting license before you can apply for a tag. I solo hunt most states and normally go unguided. Hope some of this was helpful if you need more info get back to me.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:29 PM

Default RE: AZ Mulies info ..please

I have lived in AZ for 13 years out of my 16.. Hunted it since I was 10 and my dad has hunted around the world as well.. We pretty much know the system well!! Our suggestion for out-of-state hunters is too put in for the very best areas, so when you DO get a tag, you will have a great successful hunt!

For Elk: Unit 1 and Unit 3B south are the best
For Deer: Unit 12A, 12A-West, 12B (All other areas are mostly generic or desert hunts..)

Pretty much, Its better to be LUCKY than good when it comes to drawing that stupid tag..... GOOD LUCK!! [&:]
Old 11-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Spike

Mountians in Az are good for elk and turkey, ground is good for Mullies and Javelinas.

Last edited by MattAZ12908bow243; 11-11-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Put 'mullins' instead of mullies