Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Wyoming draw or over the counter? >

Wyoming draw or over the counter?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Wyoming draw or over the counter?

Old 02-13-2023, 05:54 PM
Spike

Default Wyoming draw or over the counter?

It's been a long time since I hunted Wyoming and I've downloaded the Wyoming regulations and looked at them but felt I might get the answer better here rather than try and interpret the "book" that composes them. It appears as if all tags are on a draw basis but can’t find anything about over the counter sales like they used to do.
Years ago when I hunted deer and antelope in Wyoming it was over the counter sales but I understand the game populations have declined and I wonder if it's all on a draw basis now -- even for residents???
Background: I have a friend who lives in Wyoming and she wants to allow people to hunt her land but had these questions first. She's asking if a resident can buy over the counter tags for deer in area 34 (NW of Casper)? She's also asking the same question for Elk (area 120) and antelope (area 73)?
Thanks for any help!
Old 02-14-2023, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Crockett12
It's been a long time since I hunted Wyoming and I've downloaded the Wyoming regulations and looked at them but felt I might get the answer better here rather than try and interpret the "book" that composes them. It appears as if all tags are on a draw basis but can’t find anything about over the counter sales like they used to do.
Years ago when I hunted deer and antelope in Wyoming it was over the counter sales but I understand the game populations have declined and I wonder if it's all on a draw basis now -- even for residents???
Background: I have a friend who lives in Wyoming and she wants to allow people to hunt her land but had these questions first. She's asking if a resident can buy over the counter tags for deer in area 34 (NW of Casper)? She's also asking the same question for Elk (area 120) and antelope (area 73)?
Thanks for any help!
Look up outfitters in Wyoming for the species you want to hunt and see if any have landowner licenses. I hunted Co last Oct and huntd on a landowner tag that came from the landowner whose land we hunted. We bought a hunting license over the counter Otherwise we would have put in for a drawing. BTW we both scored. Our outfitter, Double H out of Craig CO hunts for antelope, mule deer, Elk and cougars. We hunted within sight of the mts in Wyoming and Utah. Good luck.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-15-2023 at 04:16 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on the species and hunt area. That geographic region encompassing Antelope 73, Deer 34, and Elk 120 is limited quota (i.e. draw). There may occasionally be extra doe/fawn or cow/calf tags available, depending on populations.

Nonresident application date for elk closes Jan 31st each year. I believe Deer and Antelope both close May 31st. Any leftover tags can be applied for starting June 19th, but according to WGF's website, there are no leftover tags in any of those three species' hunt areas as of today.

Depending on how much land your friend owns and whether she's a promoter of hunting or looking to thin down some crop damage, she might consider contacting the Regional Office in Casper about enrolling in the "AccessYes" program, or there's always word-of-mouth. If she's just looking to make some money, she's probably better off finding an outfitter to lease the hunting rights from her.