Second year in a row failed to draw SE Montana antelope tags >

Second year in a row failed to draw SE Montana antelope tags

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Second year in a row failed to draw SE Montana antelope tags

Old 08-08-2021, 10:46 AM
Spike

Default Second year in a row failed to draw SE Montana antelope tags

I have hunted Montana antelope around Alzeda many times over the years. Always drew a permit at least every other year with no or one PP. For the past 2 years (this year included) my son and I have failed to draw with 1 PP. Anybody know what is going on?
I know it is a random draw and a PP in Montana isn't really a PP but rather an additional name in the hat. Still, sounds like really bad luck or something else is happening. The first year I tried to draw with my son we got tags with no bonus points at all now I can't draw one with one bonus point.
Are the tag numbers down or the applicants up or???
Next question. Anybody have a good idea for an OTC tag for ANY big game that cost less than $1000 and has easy public access and does not have a hunter by every tree?
Ya I know that is asking a lot.
Two years ago we tried archery elk hunting in CO around Yampa but it was a total zoo first week. Never again.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know Montana's regulations or details about their draw. If it's not a true preference point and just another chance in the draw, then it's entirely possible that it's just "luck"

But, I have preference points now in several states and all of them are requiring more and more points to draw every year.

Hunting is not what it once was. When my dad started hunting they went west for muleys, antelope and elk several times. All over the counter and always had good hunts. Access to private land, otc tags, landowners inviting them to come onto the property year after year. It's a totally different world now certainly.

If you're just looking for a fun hunt look into otc cow elk hunts on public land. Still tags available and decent chance of success. And I guarantee you'll have fun.

-Jake
Old 08-08-2021, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Most Eastern states(and even some Midwest states) have otc whitetail tags. And they all have some public land.

You have to work to get away from the crowds though.

-Jake
Old 08-09-2021, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

First, if you are applying for antelope tags, you should be purchasing a bonus point , not a preference point. A PP is used in the drawing of elk and, or, deer NR tags. Bonus points are used in the limited entry draws for hunting districts for elk, deer and antelope. Second, with all the money the govt. has thrown out the past 18 months, all western states have seen a big increase in the number of NR apps. Can always move to a state and become a contributing member of that state.....worked out well for me.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might wanta examine the draw results and #'s applying for them at MT's DFW website. It's a bit of legwork or mouse clicking but then you can find out what happened for the specific area you applied for.