Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Mullen fire

Old 09-29-2020, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mullen fire

The smoke from the Mullen fire is making life miserable for the folks in Cheyenne and the surrounding area. Even just driving through that section of I-25 and I-80 the smoke is limiting visibility to short distances and is enough to make a fellow cough and have watery eyes. One of my elk hunts this year will be just North of Laramie so I don't think it will be affected other than the smoke but there are going to be a lot of fellows that have had their hunts ruined by this fire. It is dry and "breezy" which has caused this fire to get out of control.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

I hunted that area last year. It was in need of a fire. It was dead fall upon dead fall. It was crazy.

Sad, as it is all over this area. But, it is probably necessary with the amount of fuel up there on the ground.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sad indeed. Looks like it is over 170k acres and only 14% contained. Hopefully some rain and snow will come in soon.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Sad indeed. Looks like it is over 170k acres and only 14% contained. Hopefully some rain and snow will come in soon.
Forecast here is for snow tonight, into tomorrow morning. It was windy today. That couldn't have helped things.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Snow never hit. Some rain, lots of wind.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like they finally have a handle on the fire and it has stopped spreading. 53% contained yesterday and the heat has diminished considerably. I would imagine the smoke will be with us for a while longer yet.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Hallelujah! Snow and cold has made it to Montana, hope the folks in Wyoming share in the cold temperatures and moisture. Here at our home in south central Montana we have seen close to 10 inches of snow, though it is melting on the roads, it should provide excellent moisture since the ground is still warm. A blessing for sure!
Attached Thumbnails Mullen fire-20201017_162655.jpg  
Old 10-18-2020, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Mrs. Fan and I went to sushi tonight. Sat at the bar. Next to me was a young gal who worked for the fire fighting division of the BLM (the respectable one!). She was just pulled from the fire in CA and is being sent to the Mullen fire. She was pissed. Angry that the hippies wouldn't let the experts manage that forest, and blames them for what is going on. I jokingly said "isn't it just global warming?" She glared at me.

We laughed.