West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Elk rut?

Old 09-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk rut?

Much action out there? We went from summer to dang near winter here in Montana over the Labor day weekend. High's of 100 on Saturday, snow fall in many locals Monday, several inches in places. A true blessing considering the wild fires that raged last week. The ranch I hunt was pretty slow for elk bugling, most in bachelor groups or all alone. Same story from up near the Missouri breaks from what I understand talking to my neighbors that hunt that area, one did score a nice 6x6 Sunday morning, said it was all alone, quiet also. Anyone experiencing anything different?
Old 09-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once of my friends killed a 346” 6x7 on 9/8 just east of Sheridan WY. The bull was with 46 cows.

Another friend killed a 280” 6x6 in southern Colorado opening day of archery. He said he heard over 30 bugles that morning.

The snow now should get them fired up.

Last edited by Rob in VT; 09-10-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Still slow action here in Montana, bulls are bugling, but mostly smaller bulls in bachelor groups. This should be the week things really start going.....I am hoping.