Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Colorado with some new young hunters >

Colorado with some new young hunters

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado with some new young hunters

Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Spike

Default Colorado with some new young hunters

I have hunted Colorado off and on since I was 13 now 33 and this year me and my hunting partner have some new hunters coming with us, his 2 sons and 2 new hunters from our work. The trip will be totally geared toward his 2 sons since this will be there first trip and they are excited to finally be able to get into the hunting game (him and his sons finally talked the wife into letting them come along).
With all the new people in camp this year and me and my partner being the only ones with a little experience we have decided to split up into 2 groups so we can try to get the sons and new guys on some animals, they would really like to concentrate our efforts on elk but we will also be picking up some deer tags in case we are have problems pin pointing the elk.
With that said the new hunters have no points so we will need to stick to easy draw units which isn't going to help us too much on getting on some animals, again this trip is centered around my partners sons and we would like to make it enjoyable for them. We are just looking for meat and some what easy hunting or atleast see some animals since we all know they call it hunting instead of killing.
His sons are 13 and 15 and we are excited to have them but its going to be hard to keep there confidence up if we aren't atleast seeing some animals so I'm hoping we can get some good info from here.

As far as me I hunted around Eagle when I was younger in units 25 and 44 and as of lately I have hunted 11,22 and 211. I have been successful in 211 and 44 for deer and 22 for elk but it was luck as I see it.
I was too young to remember much of the Eagle area but I wouldn't mind trying that out again, I have noticed 44 might be pretty tough for a deer tag and the elk success rate isn't looking very good from the past couple of years.
I have hunted 211 and 11 the past 5 years with the first year being the only successful year on a small buck, I normally only hunt elk and didn't put in for deer the other 4 years.

The thing that's going to hurt us this year is with how everyones schedules line up which means we can only hunt 2nd season.

I'm not looking for anyones specific honey holes or exact areas mainly just units to check out or look into while we try to get everything figured out, any info is good info in my eyes and we will take anything we can get.

Thanks for the help in advance and sorry for the long post
Old 02-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Spike

Where about do you live? Will you be able to scout this summer? I have a few places for you to look at.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Fatbow from CO
Where about do you live? Will you be able to scout this summer? I have a few places for you to look at.
I'm in Morrison and I'm planning on (3) 4 day weekend camping/scouting trips throughout the summer plus I always show up 2 days before the season starts to get camp up and do a little scouting for opening day.