Using Dogs to bait mountain lions >

Using Dogs to bait mountain lions

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Using Dogs to bait mountain lions

Old 12-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Spike

Default Using Dogs to bait mountain lions

I found a skinny, hungry/thirsty dog tied to a tree in a pretty catty area. I know lions like to kill their meals. Has anyone ever heard of using a dog to bait a lion. (I took the dog to our local humane society, and he's been adopted.) This dog was hidden--far off the trail and far from campgrounds, parking, etc. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by dennison
I found a skinny, hungry/thirsty dog tied to a tree in a pretty catty area. I know lions like to kill their meals. Has anyone ever heard of using a dog to bait a lion. (I took the dog to our local humane society, and he's been adopted.) This dog was hidden--far off the trail and far from campgrounds, parking, etc. Thanks!
I have not heard of such a thing but if I find someone doing it they will be tied to the tree and a raw steak tied to their waste. That is down right evil.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Spike

I agree. I just can't figure out why else he would be there. I found a bobcat trap in the same area today, so I know that cats are out there. He was left with no food or water, tied with a cotton rope around his neck and the other end to a tree. He was a super friendly, and happy dog--not afraid of people, neutered, had some training. I just can't think of any other reason he was left there. (also--while I was untying him, my heart was beating out of my chest, and I had a feeling I needed to get out of there fast---that feeling you get when you are being watched)--anyway. I keep wondering why he ended up in this predicament, and thought I'd throw out the question.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd think it was more likely for Coyotes. Coyotes are territorial and don't much like trespassers. They will move closer to check out a trespasser.

Cats in my experience are going to hide or run, mostly hide from a Dog. But heck a hungry enough Cat is likely to do anything.

My have been somebody to cowardly to put a Dog down or give it up to the pound. Out of sight out of mind.

Whatever, a sorry sad situation.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe his owner had him out hiking in the woods and the dog got tired/ couldn't keep up, so he tied him there while he went on hiking. When he came back the dog was gone. It is possible
Old 12-27-2017, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

How was it tied? Obviously tied by a human, or tangled around the tree? They can get tangled up when they get lose and have leash or rope attached to them..

-Jake