Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Getting deer back to the truck? >

Getting deer back to the truck?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Getting deer back to the truck?

Old 10-26-2003, 07:19 PM

Default Getting deer back to the truck?

I was lucky enough to harvest a small buck on the opener. Never hunting in the west before, I had no idea on the best way to get the deer back to the truck. My friend suggested that we cut the deer in half, and each of us carry a half back. I didn' t know if this was a good idea or not, but... So after killing myself to get my half back, i was carrying the front half on my shoulders, I am wondering how you guys do it. There were three of us, and it was a yearling buck, so didn' t weigh that much, but still too much to carry over the shoulders. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting deer back to the truck?

back the truck up to it
Old 10-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Gotta like that Wayne - he' s always generous with the information.

Also, hunt only uphill from the truck, wait for snow, and continue to have at least those other 2 guys along.

Actually I' ve never done anything but drag them. Sometimes it' s grunt though. Oh ya, there was the time I loaded one on my trike with me. It saved a whole lot of work until I put a wheel over the bank and watched both deer and trike plummet into a chasm.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:40 PM

You are going to get a lot of different answers to this question. Up in this area, we usually drag because we aren' t normally very far from where we started (like a skiff on the beach) and usually we are on an incline because the deer are at higher elevations once they discover they are targets. If the deer is less than 150 lb you should be able to drag it OK - if it is more, you may be forced to piece it out and bring it out by relaying it piece-by-piece. I very seldom hunt with a partner, so I either don' t go very far from my transportation (and have a drag rope to drag) - or I expect to bring out my meat in portions and sometimes not all in the same day.

In addition to the normal necessities, many of the locals carry a pack frame, large game bags, and 20 to 30 feet of very small diameter rope if hunting deer at higher elevations - me included. If I am foolish enough to shoot something quite a distance from my transportation, I try to leave as many large bones as possible at the kill site, and I try to take my time going back down so I don' t need a rescue party looking for me and my broken ankle. A second trip to carry what you couldn' t handle isn' t a pleasent prospect, but its a necessary circumstance so you don' t waste anything. Bag up what you can' t pack safely and hang it from your rope in a tree. Part of safe hunting is knowing what you can really expect out of yourself, and planning your movements accordingly. Good luck in your future hunting.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:13 AM
usa
Fork Horn

At my age (62) I' ve learned that whenever possible hunt uphill so that you can drag down, Last sat, I dragged a buck that field dressed about 220lb' s aprox 200 yds down to my truck through waist high sage and how I do it is to attach a carrying strap to the deer' s antler' s and make it short enough so that after you put it around your chest and stand up the deer is about 1/2 off the ground, then reach around and grab an antler in each hand and head for the truck, if you are doing it right the deer' s nose will protrude between your leg' s,also if it' s tough going it help' s to cut a small hole thru the deer' s hamhock' s and tie his hoove' s together behind his head, that give' s you a smaller profile going thru the brushand his leg' s won' t catch on every damn twig that you drag him over ! The hard part for me was trying to get him up on my tailgate alone,
Old 10-27-2003, 01:48 AM
Typical Buck

I' d invest in a pack frame and game bags. Keep them in your truck whenever you go out hunting because you never know where he' ll drop. If you' ve got some distance to cover, that' s the only way to go. I know some guys who use a wheel barrow to cart ' em out if they' ve got roads to walk on. If I' m solo, I use my safety harness from my climbing stand to drag them out. It centers the load on your chest and shoulders, so you can lean into the pull but still be upright. It hasn' t gotten any use since I moved out here though. I hate dragging them all bent over pulling with my arms. It seems to wear me out much faster. Another way I' ve hauled ' em out if I have a buddy is to gut ' em, cut a small tree about 6" in diameter, tie their front legs together, their back legs together, then put the pole through their legs. Then, you each grab an end of the pole, place it on your shoulder, and start walking. But whenever possible, use Wayne' s way.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:58 AM

I take the front legs and put em between the rack and tie em' to the antlers. Then I tie a line from the antlers to a good sturdy stick. Then wear the the stick like a yolk and start walking. When you get tired, start pulling.

I heard those plastic sleighs work real well, but are a hassle to pack around. That is the thing about hunting - once you shoot the thing, the real work begins
Old 10-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey C2.....I had tear' s rolling off my face having a visual of your deer and trike experience.......If people knew you like I do.....they' d really apprecrite that story........................................Sle e....Dang....first time I' ve ever heard about useing my safety harness.....awesome tip
Old 10-28-2003, 10:00 PM

I take the front legs and break the joint then skin the leg up to about the middle between the hoof and the broken joint so it makes sort of a T, then cut a hole in the back leg through the achilles tendon, slip the front leg through the hole and turn it into a backpack, I then put my red vest over the deer so no dumb ass shoots me then just walk to the truck
Old 10-29-2003, 08:22 AM

Most of my deer are shot far from any road in the mountains.
Boning them out is the only way to go. It is really easy. Basically you just cut all the meat off the bones and throw it in the game bag. I usually put as much as I can in my big day pack and the rest I throw up on my shoulder and away I go.

If it is a big one I cape it out including the head and saw off the horns.

Usually end up with appx. 70-90lbs of meat. It' s the only way to go.

Quick Reply: Getting deer back to the truck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.