Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
WY antelope rifle hunt >

WY antelope rifle hunt

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

WY antelope rifle hunt

Old 03-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default WY antelope rifle hunt

Thinking of setting up a WY antelope rifle hunt for the Fall of '17. If hunting a private ranch, do I still need to apply for a buck tag or are they issued to landowners, or would that just depend on where in the state I'm hunting? When is the rut in WY & is that the best time to go after pronghorn?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

You'll either have to apply in the draw or hope to buy a leftover tag after the draw is completed about the third week of June. The leftovers go on sale in July online first come first serve. Landowner tags in Wyoming can only be used by the land owner and immediate family. The rut is usually going on pretty good by the middle of September into the first part of October and it's not necessary to hit the rut to have a good antelope hunt.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Antelope is a really fun hunt. Not all that difficult. Especially if you're in an area where there are several herds. I've gone on 2 and although both were 3 day hunts I never needed the 3rd day.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Spike

You should have no problem getting a tag. Basically use I-25 to cut the state in half, everything East of it is pretty good goat hunting. As you get to Casper the goats spread to the West making Natrona, Carbon, and Albany counties pretty good. Your problem will be ground to hunt. Permission can be tough, a lot of these old ranchers have gotten their fingers burnt from "Out of Staters'" and won't whiz on you if you were on fire. Public ground is that, and be prepared to enjoy your hunt with 150 of you closest new friends from WI, MI, MO, MS, etc, etc.
Try and get you a tag. Come out and get a feel for the country. With hat in hand and asking nicely, some good ol' boy might let you let the air out of a "Range Maggot" on his place.
Oh, and watch for rattlesnakes
Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, You probably should apply for a tag. First you need to
select a unit and in Eastern Wyoming you better find a
ranch that will let you on for a tresspass fee. Check out
the Spearhead Ranch in unit 26. Yes, the rut in mid to late Sept.
is probably the best time, but really any time is good especially
on a private ranch that limits hunting pressure to a reasonable
level. Good luck!