Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
***new*** ***NorCal*** >

***new*** ***NorCal***

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

***new*** ***NorCal***

Old 05-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Spike

Smile ***new*** ***NorCal***

Hello everyone. My name is Manny I'm 30yrs old and live in Walnut Creek, CA. I grew up in the Bay Area fishing as my favorite outdoor activity. I recently got my hunting license for the first time. I've always wanted to take up hunting but don't have friends who shared the same interest so I decided to take it up on my own. I've been doing a lot of research using DFG and DLM as references. I've quickly realized that hunting in CA is not as easy as I thought it would be. Between regulations and finding a decent public place to hunt; there's not a lot to choose from. It seems as though private land is the best bet. I'm now trying to find landowners willing to allow me to hunt their land in exchange for manual labor/$. Looks like I have a long road ahead of me... My ultimate goal to have a few good spots to hunt by the time son is able to safely handle a firearm. I purchased two guns for starters. A Remington 870 (which I wrapped in mossy oak) and a Remington 770 .308. I floated the barrel and purchased a Nikon pro-staff scope. My rifle is very accurate and have had 0 issues So far. I'm most interested in hunting pig,upland game birds, water fowl, elk and deer. Possibly rabbit and squirrel. I understand hunting alone will probably make it that much harder for me to learn so naturally I'm grateful for any recommendations or advice. I'm also open to Hunting with anyone looking for a hunting partner. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2015, 03:24 AM
Fork Horn

From what you describe, I'd find a local gun shop and shooting range to try to meet some fellow shooters and hunters. After you have done that, you can start picking some brains about hunting. Word of caution, most of what you are going to meet on line, be cautious..a lot
are not what you think they are!
Dan
Old 05-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Asking at a gun store is always a good idea. The smaller Mom and Pop places are usually the best.

Search and download, Fish and Game Department's Hunting Guide for Wild Pigs in California.

Both the California fish and game and the BLM have a lot of online info. Just check the dates and make sure it is current. The boundries and regs seem to change faster than you can read them.

You are way close to some of the best Hog hunting anywhere. Near (between) the Henry Coe State park and Coyote Lake area was pretty much overrun and is still likely a hot spot.

The trick to hunting in California is to know where you are at and know how to read a map. Some guy drives up in a pickup and says you are on private land, look at your map, Then either say I'm sorry I'm leaving or say go umph yourself I'm OK right where I'm at. Just make sure your right.

Something else you can do is drop an envelope into farm office mailboxes. Especially the places on the edge, where the farmland meets the undeveloped land. I leave my name, telephone number and a short note asking permission to hunt Jacks Rabbits or Rabbits (after July 1st). IMO it is better to leave a letter than just pop in, Farmers are usually busy people. They are usually happy to get shut of the Jacks and Rabbits, they just don't want some moron shooting up the countryside.

I've actually had more fun small game hunting than I did hunting for the bigger stuff. And it is also a good way to scout possible ares that have larger game. And a way to get your feet wet.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

There's a lot of available hunting land further north and south of you. The Bay Area is tough because so many of the public land is some kind of nature preserve. You might want to check on nearby BLM lands as BLM usually allows hunting. Much of the best pig hunting is in central CA (not that far from you). I'm sure there are some pheasant clubs near you and most of those also have chukar as well and dogs you can rent if you don't have a dog. Finding new areas to hunt is always a challenge but the research is also part of the fun. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone! I feel very welcome already. Was expecting such good advise. I will use all of it. I went to white slough WA near Lodi Friday. Took me an hour to find the entrance after getting ready I started walking to the entrance when I read a large sign "no hunting from feb-August". ahhh. I get that most upland and all fowl is currently out of season. But jacks and collared dove are year round. I called grizzly island and they said hunting is closed until July. It seems the areas that hold jack rabbits are closed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Haven't had dove or rabbit for dinner in years. Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mannysilva
Thanks everyone! I feel very welcome already. Was expecting such good advise. I will use all of it. I went to white slough WA near Lodi Friday. Took me an hour to find the entrance after getting ready I started walking to the entrance when I read a large sign "no hunting from feb-August". ahhh. I get that most upland and all fowl is currently out of season. But jacks and collared dove are year round. I called grizzly island and they said hunting is closed until July. It seems the areas that hold jack rabbits are closed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Haven't had dove or rabbit for dinner in years. Thanks again.
They shut down areas due to fire danger a lot of times. That is why the farm areas in the valleys may be a better bet. If you get permission to hunt the edges of a farm (private property) you can fudge it a little into the brush piles on the edges and may find a lot of Jacks. Rabbit opens 1st of July, Dove late summer early fall (check the book). Don't get caught hunting out of season, the Wardens sit on top of a hill with binoculars, keep it legal. If they do come down to check you out, use the opportunity to ask for some tips about where to hunt.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Spike

Thanks. Makes sense. And will definitely keep it legal. I'd love the opertunity to pick a green guys brain