Rifle 4 Elk hunting Buddy CO

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Rifle 4 Elk hunting Buddy CO

Old 09-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Spike

Default Rifle 4 Elk hunting Buddy CO

Hello,

This will be my hopefully first year hunting ELK in CO, I am looking for a Rifle 4 tag and I plan to just get it OTC. Anyone else in the same boat care to join me? I have weekends off with 1 vacation day left for the year. Also if you need a hunting buddy I dont mind tagging along. Mostly looking to put meat in the freezer.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Spike

Might need to double check the tag you want depending on the unit you plan to hunt.

For elk, most OTC tags are 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons only, where 1st and 4th are normally draw, and sometimes leftover.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Spike

Ah this would be my first year, So I will have to check into it. thanks for the heads up
Old 09-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated, you can buy an OTC tag for lots of units for the 2nd and 3rd season. Here is the current list of left overs. There are a few 4th season tags still available. Be sure it isn't just a "private land only " though.

http://cpwapps.state.co.us/Documents/leftover.pdf
Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

4th rifle season will be a tough hunt with the weather. Most elk will be headed for winter range if they aren't already on it. Make sure that's not private land on the unit you plan to hunt. Also, be aware of migration routes during that time of year.

Mature bulls will be off by themselves in the timber. The rest will be herded up. It's a good season to hunt for cows. Not real good for big bulls unless you have the experience to go in and get them. They won't come to calls.