Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
In California, there is a new bill to restore hounds. >

In California, there is a new bill to restore hounds.

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

In California, there is a new bill to restore hounds.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Spike

Exclamation In California, there is a new bill to restore hounds.

I urge Californians for ethical wildlife management to write their assemblymen in support of restoring hound hunting for dangerous predators.

"RE: AB 2205 (Donnelly) – SUPPORT

Dear Assembly Member ______:

I urge you to support AB 2205 (Donnelly), legislation which would provide counties with local control over whether or not to allow the use of hounds to hunt bears and bobcats within their jurisdiction. Counties deserve local authority over decisions which directly impact their economy, public safety and traditional lifestyles. AB 2205 would help to restore that control.

When SB 1221 narrowly passed in 2012, it placed a statewide ban on the use of hounds to hunt bears and bobcats. Lobbied and passed strictly on emotions, the bill failed to consider science which documents the need to manage these predators to control their impact on livestock, wildlife and public safety in rural and semi-rural areas. Further, those who supported the measure ignored the substantial impact the bill would have on rural counties whose local economies depend upon the revenues generated by bear guides and hunters who stay in their motels, purchase gas, eat in their restaurants and shop in local stores each fall.

Black bears are now a danger to children and pets in some California neighborhoods. I don't want my tax dollars spent for state control of bear populations. Sport hunters generate revenue through tag sales and hunting license sales.

Hound hunting is humane because it allows the hunter to get in close range with little risk of wounding the animal. The hunter then can also field judge a bear to determine if it is a lactating sow or a mother bear with cubs so as to pass up shots in this instance.

Letting the dogs run on the bear hunt again would be the best measure to keep bear numbers in check and keep California citizens safe from bear attacks. This drought season is forcing many dangerous wild animals into populated areas. Hunters need an incentive to keep people safe.

Sincerely,
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

This proposed bill actually makes sense. Too bad they didn't pass the original bill this way.