Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Beginner question regarding CO points >

Beginner question regarding CO points

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Beginner question regarding CO points

Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Spike

Default Beginner question regarding CO points

Hello! I was hoping someone on this board could help me with a question I had. I have never hunted before and I have never gotten a chance to get involved with it. Desperately am trying to learn as much as I can before I go out hopefully next year or 2015. I am not ready to hunt this year but I was reading about the preference point system for CO and was a bit confused. Since I am not hunting this year can I just buy a preference point and have it rollover for next year? Or is it too late for that? Any information is appreciated.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can buy a point for the fall of 2014, but it's too early to do that now.

You can find everything you need to know in this link. You can also call with any questions you'll have.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Pages/Home.aspx
Old 12-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only way you can still get a point for 2013 is if you're a CO resident in the military who was out of the country on military deployment when the draw was done in Apr. They have a special provision for that listed under the Military Benefits section on the website.

However, you can't just say you were deployed. You need to provide a copy of either a valid military identification card or a set of orders and your command needs to provide a statement of deployment signed by an official representative of the command and it needs to be on command letterhead. You would be amazed how many people try to claim military benefits that have never served a day in any branch of the service.

I've used this a few times when the Navy had me out of the country. As a matter of fact, I've been stockpiling points for a long time waiting for retirement. I retire next Apr and I'm sitting on 20 points for elk. Unit 2, here I come in 2014!!!!