Getting stopped in colorado while carrying

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Getting stopped in colorado while carrying

Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Getting stopped in colorado while carrying

I know this varies by states so asking bought colorado
If im carrying my handgun or say a hunting rifle and get pulled over do i legally have to inform the officer im carrying. Back in indiana id normally just had hand the officer my license and my conceal carry permit as not to have to say hey officer i got a gun. Doing so always ended with a happy officer never pulled out and checked.

If its not legal i font fell the need to but normally do to avoid issues later ie them seeing it when i reach for the glove box for paperwork or if its in the glove box or incase i get pulled out gor some reason

Just wonna follow colorado law. We all know the im sorry i didnt know officer or well back in indiana ant a defense
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Colorado is an open carry state except in certain localities such as Denver.

But, if you want to be sure you're following CO law, why are you asking on a hunting forum? Since you obviously have a computer and can get on the internet, I suggest you spend a few minutes and look up the actual law and see what it says. Any info anybody gives you here is just conjecture on their part. Better to get the actual official legal info since you're talking about current law.

Or, you could make a phone call to the local Colorado State Patrol office and ask them what the preferred procedure is if you get pulled over.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you have a permit to carry concealed in Colorado? Otherwise you better keep it in plain sight.

Is English your first language?
Old 12-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

My bad my keyboard on my phone is tiny for my big fingers

Iv not got my colorado permit yet. Fixing to soon when i get my new handgun. I wanted to know before hand.
I did look it up and read the law. It says you do not have to inform the officer
Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Spike

Default Informing officer

Here is my brothers take on this. He is a retired sheriff from California. He appreciates that a concealed weapon does not always have to be declared, but, always appreciated that someone told him "before" he/she went for the glove compartment. Put's the officer at ease. Now to get a little complicated. In some states you can carry a concealed weapon if you have a license to do so when you hunt, but, it cannot have a round in the chamber if you are in your vehicle. This is only during hunting season in a hunting unit. You may want to check your state regs for that.

Originally Posted by bigtim6656

Iv not got my colorado permit yet. Fixing to soon when i get my new handgun. I wanted to know before hand.
I did look it up and read the law. It says you do not have to inform the officer
Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

It's always better to tell the officer, just makes the stop safer for both.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656

I don't think Colorado issues ccw permits to non-residents, but its an open carry state (I'm assuming you're still from Indiana). USA Carry breaks down requirements by state. Still best off going to the source and asking Colorado law enforcement or reading Colorado laws.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Spike

Here in Colorado, it is illegal to have a long gun of any type to be loaded in a vehicle including magazines. However your vehicle is considered an extension of your home property and you can have a loaded handgun concealed without a permit in your vehicle. But once you step out of your vehicle and still armed you will need a concealed carry permit from the state or one that is honored in that state or carry open. Exception is Denver county.