Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
New CO hunter,  need a buddy, are a buddy. >

New CO hunter, need a buddy, are a buddy.

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New CO hunter, need a buddy, are a buddy.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Spike

Yeah, I know especially out along 24 its all blocked in by private, but I was thinking about accessing from The Crags campground area, I don't mind hiking back in, but I haven't heard great things about elk on the Peak. Up north of Divide is lots of private land too, until you get up to Signal Butte, which is why its so packed. While I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bull, I would be happy with just some tasty cow meat for the freezer as I haven't killed anything with my bow yet.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Spike

OK update on the info. I just came from driving couple of locations at Rampart range rd and of 67 in the hayman burn scar. had site for 3 toms there 6am this morning. will try that area on day 1 and see what happens.
And cowboykerk that sounds like a blast friend me if you will and we can discuss.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Spike

Any one herd how badger flats is doing on elk?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cowboykerk
Pete's right. Here in Colorado an elk is required to have at least 4 points on one side before it can be legally taken.
That is not correct. The 4 point rule applies to some units, but not to others. The Big Game brochure has a listing of which units are applicable.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Spike

I hunted Badger Flats last year after seeing two nice bulls bedded right out in the open in early August. I only spent one morning in there, and I like what I saw as far as sign but didn't actually come across any elk. It would be a good rabbit area as I saw 3 or so in just that morning walk. I might check it out again this year during archery if other areas don't pan out, I will let you know!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Spike

This may sound like a stupid question, but anyone know the rules for hunting in the Florrisant Fossil Beds National Monument? I am assuming its not allowed?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
That is not correct. The 4 point rule applies to some units, but not to others. The Big Game brochure has a listing of which units are applicable.
I never mentioned points. He said he could shoot anything with an antler. That's not true. All units need to be at least 5".
Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Spike

If u notice I said if its old enough.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I noticed. I would have preferred you said a legal elk.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you read the link I gave you? Lots of help for a new elk hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.