Planning my first Archery hunt E. Washington >

Planning my first Archery hunt E. Washington

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Planning my first Archery hunt E. Washington

Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Spike

Default Planning my first Archery hunt E. Washington

I need help planning this hunting season! Well, it's been many years since I've hunted and that was all rifle hunting. In fact, I figured it out the other day...last deer I shot was in 1999! Now I've decided to take up archery hunting, so I can hunt with my son. I taught him to rifle hunt when he was younger. He started archery hunting a few years ago and it's time for him to teach me.

Most of my hunting experience has been in extreme Eastern Washington, Newport area and north of Newport towards Canada. Unfortunately a lot of that area has drastically changed, since 1999. Most of the private property that I used to hunt is under different ownership and a lot of the public area I used to hunt is now private. I will be hunting primarily in GMUs 113 and 117 but may also hunt in GMU 124 some.

I'm also unsure if I'm going to hunt Modern Firearm deer season or Archery deer season. My son and I have a friend coming over from Tacoma, WA, who hunts modern deer, with a muzzle loader. He'll be here for a week of modern season. In order for all of us to be able to hunt, together, I'm considering hunting the modern firearm season. This will limit me to following modern season rules, any buck in one area and 4 point minimum in a couple areas. Otherwise, I'll hunt archery season for deer and carry a bear tag with me, during my friend's visit, along with my camera.

I also plan to hunt archery season Elk.

Obviously, I am not asking any of you to divulge your secret locations but I am asking for advice.

As I mentioned, this will be my first year archery hunting and I'd like to put a tag on SOMETHING, preferably something with antlers...lol.

Any suggestions on where to hunt deer and/or elk? Which season I should choose for deer?(Modern or Archery)

Any and all advice or suggestions are welcome! I'm sure I'll be seeking A LOT of advice from all of you!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Spike

I know its late but I had success x2 in 124 in the late season. Alot of the land owners don't want rifle or mussy as I found out unless you ran into someone else. Also Cheney and Medical Lake areas are okay in the Early Season or so I'm hoping.