New to hunting, Almost new to Colorado

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New to hunting, Almost new to Colorado

Old 01-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Spike

Default New to hunting, Almost new to Colorado

Hey all,

I'm finally getting ready to get into hunting after marriage and the kids...Interested in archery and gun hunting in and around Colorado. Primarily interested in turkey and waterfowl and possibly going towards elk and deer later this year. I'm just interested in any advice and insight from the experts on the board. I talked to the guys form DU, PF, and the turkey federation this past weekend at the sports show and am excited to get going. Planning on scouting the Rampart Range in the coming weeks, as I live in douglas county. Any and all help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Start getting preference points for big game so that you can get into some of the better units in the future. Much less hunting pressure and usually better chance of finding game.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

I spend a lot of time on Rampart range. Spend some time up there and you will have no problem finding elk, deer, bear or turkey. All of my pictures I posted are from up there. I prefer to stay out of the burn area just because all the people I saw hunting there in the past. There are areas up there that holds animals but you need to get off the beaten paths. If you want 300+ yard shots that isn,t the place to go but with a bow or muzzleloader its nice hunting. Just be prepared to see cattle up there from spring til fall. If you find the cattles salt try looking in the timber around it.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies.

I'm applying for preference points starting with the spring turkey application. Funny you should mention Rampart, I live relatively close to there and just picked up a map of the area in order to start scouting around there. I'm hoping to get out there this coming weekend to have a look around.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

I am heading up there this weekend to check my camera. Saw some turkey tracks up there but never ran into the birds. You going to hunt 51 or 511.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Spike

C-Rad,

51 is closer to me but I wouldn't be opposed to 511, either. Any suggestions about where to look around?

Jeff
Old 01-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

For turkeys in 511 try north of carol lakes road in the creek bottom or saylor park area. Get off the roads and into the bottoms. That usually where I run into them.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Spike

Thanks!

Jeff