Colorado Pheasant Opener >

Colorado Pheasant Opener

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado Pheasant Opener

Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Colorado Pheasant Opener

I'm hoping for a good opener on Saturday. Bringing my 14 y/o and family mutt. He's a lab/couch potato mix. He's not a hunter, but will have fun in the fields with us.

Headed to some walk-in land around Yuma (just like most every other hunter)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Spike

nice! I will be archery hunting on the eastern plains this weekend so push some deer my way
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cotroutbum
nice! I will be archery hunting on the eastern plains this weekend so push some deer my way
What license do you have ? Saw a beautiful WT buck today south eastern CO....sittin in the sun asleep.

We got birds but it was some tough hunting in the wind. Lots of missed shots. Tomorrow will be good, alot colder and not supposed to be as windy.

Last edited by skb2706; 11-10-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saturday morning had my son and I waiting at our favorite walk-in north of Yuma about 20 minutes before it was light. Got ready and on the other end of the field kind of kitty-corner about 10 guys came in right before it was light. They sent 2 down by us to block, and I mean right down to us. Are you kidding me? It was apparent that they didn't care my son and I were standing there, I know they could see us, and my truck was on a raised road. As I didn't want to get myself or son shot from someone I didn't know I told them that I will just walk down and cut the corner of the field so I wouldn't be in the way, it was heavy on the sarcasm. It was disappointing at first, my son kept saying we should have stayed and screwed there hunt. Then birds started kicking birds our way from the other hunters. I shot the first 2 roosters that were in range, they were out about 20 yards and wings set to land, thank you. My boy missed the next few, and then I had one fly straight at me and I dropped him. Limited out in the first 15 minutes. Totally unbelievable, that has never happened to me before. The corner that we cut, we didn't have one bird flush from it. So thank you to the other hunters who worked so hard for us. I'm not sure how many birds they got, but I did see them knock a few down also. We left that field as the other hunters were setting up to drive in another direction. I think they would have run us over if we wouldn't have left.

Hunted the rest of the day trying to set my son up, but we just couldn't get a bird in range. He went through a box of shells and another handful. Birds were flushing out at 40-50 yards for the most part.

He knocked on down at the end of the day, searched for 45 minutes trying to find it but never did. That was the end of the trip.

I was planning on going Sunday too, but apparently going swimming with the new girlfriend sounded like more fun than hunting with me, so my son ditched me. I guess I should get used to that, I remember doing the same thing to my dad a few times over the years.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

I hate hearing that, BUT I am very excited you had a successful day anyways!