Wyoming Antelope 2012 >

Wyoming Antelope 2012

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Wyoming Antelope 2012

Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default Wyoming Antelope 2012

New here, came across this forum in a search.

I live in PA but, planning a WY Antelope hunt this year. We applied for 35, 34, 36 in that order. They're about the closest to us, good draw odds, all three have the same season, that's important (vacation schedule) this will be a two week adventure between driving/scouting/hunting.

I know that we're limited to State Lands in these areas and there isn't a huge amount of public access like some other areas so, I figured it was a good idea to ask some folks that know what they're talking about.

I'm planning on getting Sate Land maps and checking areas out on google earth....looking for watering holes, fence lines ??

Any other tips ?? Anyone know of good places for maps, spots I should really focus on, landowers that charge a tresspass fee to hunt ??

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dave,
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

You really need to be prepared for a shock when you read this because it's not good! Did you do any homework before you applied and do you have any PPs and did you apply as a party? I hate to break the news to you, but those are probably the worst areas you could have picked in the entire state. There is no Federal land and the state lands that are there are square mile sections spread all over the place and hardly any are legally accessible because they are completely surrounded by private land. I also have no idea how you could make that statement about draw odds because 34 and 36 are not easy to draw. In fact, 34 was only a 15% chance last year as a first choice! I would STRONGLY suggest you go back to the drawing board and look into areas with plenty of public land that you have a chance to draw a tag in. The southeastern section of the state is NOT the area to be looking at for a DIY hunt for anything because it is almost all private property. If you don't make changes in your application and draw ANY of the three units you put down, you will get out there and have two weeks without even being able to take your guns out of your cases! It's hard to believe that you have just come on a website to ask all of these questions AFTER you applied and AFTER the application period has closed. Most people don't know this, but at least you're lucky that you can either withdraw completely or modify the applications until June 3, but whatever you decide to do, if you put in as a party the leader will have to make the changes. Incidentally, fence lines don't mean squat most of the time out there as far as being property lines. You will need good BLM maps and a GPS, preferably with a landownership chip in it so you know exactly where you're at and don't get arrested for trespassing out there. Many times even when you are legal the ranchers or outfitters will tell you that you are on deeded land and try to scare you off. Trust me, as I've have hunted out in Wyoming most years since 1992. Good luck!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-21-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Spike

I really appreciate your honesty, that's absolutely what I need. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. This is really different than how things work here in PA and just when I think I have it figured out......I realize that I don't. I really want to avoid getting us into a poor DIY hunt.

I'm the group leader and I am aware that we can still change our apps. Yes, we applied with PP.

I thought I had done my homework. I was talking with a guy from WY on another forum. He suggested 38, then 34,35 & 36. I found this forum as I was looking for State Land maps to start planning the area in those that we were going to hunt.

Any suggestions as to area I should change to would be a great help ? So we need to stay out of the S.E. .......88-89-93 ??

We're not looking for monster Antelope, being our first time at this, I'd go with odds of getting a shot and the experience of a DIY hunt over anything else.

Thank you very much for your input.
Dave
Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry I had to put things so bluntly, but I really needed to get your attention. I have no idea why the guy would have mentioned any of those units unless you had already got access to a private ranch. If you look in the application booklet you will see they are all starred as difficult public access. The first time I went out there on a deer hunt in 1992 I thought I had things figured out and it was close to a disaster and I sure don't want anyone to travel 3000-4000 miles to have a bad time out there! Change your first choice to unit 27 and your second to 29. Forget about a third choice. Get good maps because you should draw with no problem if you have any PPs. Also, have at least one Garmin GPS with a landownership chip so you know you are on public property at all times. There is a ton of public land (mostly National Grasslands), plenty of animals and some nice bucks, even though they are down a little from the winter kill of 2010-11. The best way to access the unit is from the west side off Hwy 59. I suggest you hunt the south central part of the unit right south of Antelope Creek in the area on the map shown as the "Red Hills". There is also a lot of decent area on the eastern part of the unit towards what is shown on your map as the "Frog Creek Oil Fields". Plan on camping out in a legal area close to the road as they are really starting to restrict off road travel through out the unit. Walk well into the area off the roads and do spot/stalk and you'll have a good time. Most that don't see many animals are ones driving the roads. Trying to hunt the unit out of a motel will waste half your days in travel time because there is nothing inside the unit other than animals, LOL! Good luck and send me a PM if you need more help.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-22-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Spike

Not at all, I appreciate your honesty. The one thing I don’t want to do is come up with this adventure....then mess it up.

I can't thank you enough for getting me pointed in the right direction. Thank you VERY much.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing I'll never be accused of is not telling it like it is, LOL!!! I think you will do fine in unit 27, but take plenty of extra gas, water, and a couple sets of tire chains along so you don't have to go out of the unit unless it's an emergency because there are no towns closeby. Once you get off the blacktop and gravel roads out there they get real bad quickly with just a little moisture to the point where you can't go anywhere without chains. I saw some real nice bucks in the Red Hills area I mentioned two years ago, but the guy I was helping missed two big ones the first morning and got so upset that he shot a little 10" one at a water hole that night and went home the next morning! Incidentally, I would skip the first 4 or 5 days of the season if you have a choice and let the NR crowd head for home. Generally all the NRs go for the openers and are gone by the end of the first week and it's a much more enjoyable hunt after that. There are plenty of animals and you just need to walk and get off the roads to find them. The terrain is excellent to slip up on high spots to peek over and look over the land. I can't emphasize enough to have good binoculars, as well as a spotting scope if you are trying for a real good buck. Also, have a bipod, tripod or some good rest like a backpack to take good steady shots off of.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-22-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Spike

PMd ya. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

If you do have preference points, there are plenty of other units that will be productive for you as well!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Spike

We applied with PP this year (2012) this is our first time.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Spike

Default Smile

Hey Dave,
I live in Douglas, which is about 30 miles north of Wheatland, in another unit. Reading the other posts, sounds like you're getting beat up. I'm here to be more positive. There's a bunch of ranchers in that part of state, knocking on a few doors should get you in. Especially a crop farmer. Around here, the local paper puts out a hunting flyer later summer with a list of a bunch of landowners who allow people to hunt. Check with the communities in those units and see if they do the same because that could be a gold mine for you guys. Next, contact the local wardens, those guys are a wealth of info and will also give you names and numbers of landowners who accept a tresspass fee allowing you to hunt. Hey man, BE EXCITED. Don't let those other guys get you down. Get er done and email me when you want, I'm happy to help!
Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.