Hunting in seward alaska? >

Hunting in seward alaska?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hunting in seward alaska?

Old 11-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Exclamation Hunting in seward alaska?

I will be moving to seward this summer. Does anyone on here now how the hunting is? Any info would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Seward sets in unit 7 the other unit on the Kenai is 15, There is little hunting close to town, and for the next year after arriving you will be a non res. so the tags will get pricey.There are lots of black bear in the area, there are MT Goat in the area, they are done by drawing permits for the early season Aug 10- Oct 15, if the harvest quota isn't reached there will be tags by registration.Starting Nov 1,not sure about the moose hunting there but it's not an area known for that.There are Caribou and Sheep hunts not to far up the road but these are all draw hunts.There are black tail deer on the islands in PWS and the Kodiak area.The mts and tundra parts of the state all have ptarmigan and the forest areas all have some grouse. I've never heard much about snow shoe hares in that area But there are at least pockets of them most places .The area in unit 15 had quit a few last year.A look through the hunting regs will give a pretty good idea, http://hunt.alaska.gov .If you have a few days a ride on the stare ferry to Cordova will put you unit 6 and much closer to the island that hold black tails. The wilds east of Cordova are well known for huge Brown bear and moose, but access is never easy.In the fall winter there are lots of options for sea ducks in almost any shallow water bay. And don't pass up the great fishing, salmon most of the summer halibut and ling cod, rockfish in about a dozen species. Yelloweye rockfish are prized but I find most of them to be great table fare.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. It will be different hunting, but I am looking forward to it.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

One more little bit of info, The draw process is under way now. And online applications are due by Dec 31 at 5 pm local time. If your thinking of trying the paper application are due by the end of Nov.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Spike

Lots of info on the Alaska hunting fourm, alaska outdoor directory.