Wyoming Elk Hunt Advice >

Wyoming Elk Hunt Advice

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Wyoming Elk Hunt Advice

Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Spike

Default Wyoming Elk Hunt Advice

We were thinking of going to Wyoming for elk in 2012. We're non-residents (Washington residents) and have never hunted Wyoming before.

Looking for advice on decent units to put in for, how the draw/non-sold tags work. We hunt both archery and rifle, so we're open with respect to weapon.

Started looking at the regs online, but they seem confusing. Looking for advice. Not really looking for a trophy ... would be happy with meat!

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Spike

Your chances of drawing a tag the first year are pretty slim. With no points. But if you bow hunt you might look at archery only tags, odds of drawing are better. Some might be in wilderness areas, which require a guide or resident to be with you, which I think is a bunch of BS! You can horse back ride, back pack, fish, skinny dip or anything in a wilderness area, but you can't hunt. It is your land to. Any way, you might go through the orders and see if there are any archery only tags.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

0 pts, def consider special tags...

could do the general tag/draw...
Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Spike

Lots of info to go over. Since neither of us have hunted Wyoming before and are looking for the experience and a chance to get some meat, we're looking at a Type 6 draw.

Between Topo Map software and Google Earth, we can get an idea of terrain. Finding access to public land (and getting drawn for an area with lots of access) may be a challenge.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Grab yourself some preference points first off bro.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Would Idaho make more sense? closer/easier to scout?

or northern Utah?

I'd want to get away from the wolves especially if looking for a cow...

If you're set on WY, maybe subscribe to Eastmans'
Study the charts, success rates.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Spike

You might consider E. Idaho or SE Idaho units that will give you some of the terrain that Wyoming will. There's good hunting over there, both archery and rifle, that will get you into elk.

But if you're dead set on Wyoming for the experience, I can't blame you at all. It's beautiful out there. But like what was said earlier, I'd grab a few preference points first.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Spike

Since we didn't have any pref points, we took a look at last year's draw odds, public land access and unit success to help aid us. We ended up putting in for the Type 6 cow hunt in units 102 and 103. Figure if we don't get drawn, there's always the "unsold tags" we can try and purchase.

The main reason for Wyoming is my partner is hunting antelope there and wanted to make an extended trip.

We probably should have given Idaho a look too. All we've heard about though is the wolves. Maybe this was over-inflated?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Spike

The wolves are a little bit inflated. There's still good elk hunting in Idaho. But WY's antelope is far better than ID's, so I think you have a pretty good trip coming up! Good luck!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Spike

Look at type 6 tags in bighorns by Buffalo and Sheridan I believe area 35,36,&37 I think they have decent draw odds and not a lot of wilderness for the BS law they have about nonresidents you can call Sheridan regional gf office at 307-672-7418 they are usually very helpful. I got friends that archery. Hunt there and have decent success every year