OK what will it be?? >

OK what will it be??

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

OK what will it be??

Old 07-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default OK what will it be??

I am looking to do a DYI out west for mulies. Done it before several times in Wy. This year I am looking for an area that is over the counter and they don't need to be 180 class monsters. Was thinking Western Neb. but any other ideas???

Thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

I hunted with a guide, but back in 2004 I hunted the Crazy Woman Creek/Powder River area south of Buffalo, WY for mulies and antelope. The hunt itself was on a large, private ranch (100k acres) but being that large it was interspersed with a few BLM tracts scattered across the ranch and only a few hunters were seen on those small tracts during the week were there. Certainly plenty of BLM and other government tracts scattered allover that area. Naturally that area is COVERED with speedgoats but we were surprised to see the sheer numbers of mulies AND whitetails as well.

There are so many big game animals around the Sheridan airport it is high fenced and when we landed deer and lopes were lying around right beside the fence. My step-brother and I looked at each other, laughed and said at the same time, "We're going to KICK their a....". And that's exactly what we did. I mean they were EVERYWHERE around there. From the time we left the Sheridan airport until we got to the hotel in Buffalo nearly an hour south, we CONSTANTLY saw game. The mulies were always near or headed to anykinds of green fields. The whitetails stayed near the wet creeks/rivers/drainages and of course the sage goats were simply ALLOVER THE PLACE!!!

I'd get a BLM map and start from there, fairly easy terrain, no mountains or dangerous situations. Good high powered optics, your favorite 300yd deer rifle and you'd be set.
HL
Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
I hunted with a guide, but back in 2004 I hunted the Crazy Woman Creek/Powder River area south of Buffalo, WY for mulies and antelope. The hunt itself was on a large, private ranch (100k acres) but being that large it was interspersed with a few BLM tracts scattered across the ranch and only a few hunters were seen on those small tracts during the week were there. Certainly plenty of BLM and other government tracts scattered allover that area. Naturally that area is COVERED with speedgoats but we were surprised to see the sheer numbers of mulies AND whitetails as well.

There are so many big game animals around the Sheridan airport it is high fenced and when we landed deer and lopes were lying around right beside the fence. My step-brother and I looked at each other, laughed and said at the same time, "We're going to KICK their a....". And that's exactly what we did. I mean they were EVERYWHERE around there. From the time we left the Sheridan airport until we got to the hotel in Buffalo nearly an hour south, we CONSTANTLY saw game. The mulies were always near or headed to anykinds of green fields. The whitetails stayed near the wet creeks/rivers/drainages and of course the sage goats were simply ALLOVER THE PLACE!!!

I'd get a BLM map and start from there, fairly easy terrain, no mountains or dangerous situations. Good high powered optics, your favorite 300yd deer rifle and you'd be set.
HL
I hear ya about the game being all over the place. We drove out to NW wyo in 07 and we saw hundreds of deer in the irrigated fields along the way. It was crazy! The slap in the face was when i missed a 26" 4x4 mulie on the last day and drove though Buffalo that night on our way home and I watched several pushing 30" off the side of the road grazing! That hunting I guess? I just booked a guided hunt in Idaho for me and my 12 yr old son at knockout price that I couldn't refuse.