Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Thunder Basin National Grasslands >

Thunder Basin National Grasslands

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Thunder Basin National Grasslands

Old 08-06-2003, 11:39 AM

Default Thunder Basin National Grasslands

Anyone ever hunt Muleys in there? I have never been there but I' m holding a Region B deer tag and plan on parking my camper and hunting out there a couple of days this fall. Am I wasting my time, or do I have a fair chance at harvesting a buck? ANY response appreciated.

CN
Old 08-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thunder Basin National Grasslands

Country Nate,call game commision or wildlife biologist for that region,they can answer some of your questions.I hunted region B last year but leased private land,game commission as I recall told me state land gets hunted hard and the ones that have luck are the ones that have hunted it before and know where to hunt.It is kind of late to be finding a spot but I would suggest when you talk to game commission get a land owners list for area b and make some inquiries,if you do find some one that has avalibility they charge any where from $100 to $500 tresspass fee depending on the amount and quality of the property.I hunted deer and antelope on about 5000 acres for $300.Good Luck
Old 08-08-2003, 07:10 AM

Thanks George I' ll try that.

CN
Old 08-18-2003, 11:55 PM

hey nate, I saw a bunch taken around Weston, north of Gillette. They said all on public. 8 or so, nothing big but all 3 or 4 bys. Lots of area there. Should be able to fill your tag. Don' t know right off hand if that' s region B, hope so. Haven' t been here in a while but will try to check back soon if ya have any more questions.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:47 AM

Acehand,

According to my topo map there is a big chunk of public grasslands north of Gilette. However, according to the game and fish map that is region A. Mabie I' ll apply for that one next year. Right now I' m stuck with B and that is south of you. Any of those bucks you mentioned would be shooters for me since I' ve never taken a muley. With that said, your story is positive. Thanks!

CN
Old 08-19-2003, 09:56 PM

Most of the areas along the S.D. border are whitetail country mostly. 158 and 22 are pretty much private land. 10 has a lot of N grassland but I' ve never hunted it. No antelope really, but maybe some mulies. 21 has lots of deer. there' s some public land and walk-in area that could hold some for ya. It gets some pressure though. I don' t know about 13 and 14. hope this info helps ya.

Region A is the northern Black Hills, mostly whitetail country. Region C is N of Gillette, the powder river basin, and the east side of the Bighorn Mts. Good Muley huntin. I' m gettin this info off a 2002 non-resident booklet.