HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   West (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west-28/)
-   -   Rampart Range GMU 511 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/west/345204-rampart-range-gmu-511-a.html)

c-rad 05-30-2011 06:07 PM

Rampart Range GMU 511

Does anyone one hunt Elk in this area? I was up there hiking this weekend and saw quite a few deer but no elk. If anybody can help it would be appreciated.

AvidHunterAbe 07-16-2011 08:52 AM

The elk are spotty, I never find them in those areas unless they are in the burn spots. I know loggers in the area who claim there are monsters in there just not much for populaiton. I have hunted deer/turkey in the area and love it for deer but thats about it. There are way better elk options in the state than there, from what the land owners tell me they just cant seem to grow a good elk herd there. Alot of this is due to the bear population and their habit of snatching elk calves FRESH out of the oven! They have it down to a sciences and the ranchers cant do much but sit back and watch, even hunting the bears doesnt help because its highly inefficient when you cant bait them in that kind of country.

c-rad 07-16-2011 04:54 PM

Yea I saw 5 different bulls and only 2 cows in the area I been scouting. Its also rerally thick in the area I been looking just cant see more than 50 or 60 yards. Still have 2 months tp find more.

Kytus 08-08-2011 08:59 AM

I've been wondering the same thing. This is going to be my first year hunting and it's in 511.

I'm heading up there this weekend to scout. From what I've heard from multiple folks, the NW area that was burned in the Hayman fire is good to check. As is signal butte.

Accourding to DOW maps, the winter concentration is near highway 67. with their ranges being that same area, and the western mountains in the burn area.

c-rad 08-08-2011 02:41 PM

I had a spike, 3pt bull, and 3 bears on my cam thisd week. I have a bear and cow tag for muzzleloader. I fish up in deckers alot and I see a lot of deer on 67 right on the border.

Kytus 08-15-2011 08:08 AM

nice c-rad.

I didn't make it up this past weekend, My hunting buddy and I are going up the next two weekends to check it out.

Hope to see some elk before we leave.

c-rad 08-15-2011 03:07 PM

I moved my cam to a differnt spot had 2 bears and surprisingly 3 cattle. No clue where the cattle are from but there on my cam. I am trying out another wash this week so I will know what is in there on saturday or sunday.

elkdeerbear 09-10-2011 04:10 PM

I live in this area. We used to elk hunt back in Divide in Manchester Creek area. Always seen a few. Quite a bit of private land though they hang out on.

c-rad 09-11-2011 02:26 PM

I been up on rampart the last 2 days hunting muzzleloader. Saw 1 small bul,l 4 bears, a doe and 6 turkey. Couldn't get a shot a bear. Got 7 more days to get something.

streetglideok 09-25-2011 03:49 PM

Went out there in august, and saw mulies but no elk. Went thru the western part of the unit in the burn area. Its close to a major metro area, which is good and bad for me. Think we are going further west for second rifle.

c-rad 09-25-2011 04:17 PM

I seen a little bit of everything there during muzzleloader. Had a bear and cow tag. Never saw a cow but saw 6 bulls 2 were legal. Lots of does up in the area but only 1 buck. Seen 7 different bears missed 1. Two flocks of turkey were there there were 8 in 1 flock and 17 in the other. Animals are there you just have to work for them and get off the beatin path away from the guys hunting off of quads.

Jatbrats 09-04-2013 10:48 AM

I've hunted there for the past 4 years . Our first year there we seen some elk , but nothing since . There are way to many hunters that go there now . It's hunted out .

Lark Bunting 09-04-2013 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jatbrats (Post 4078021)
I've hunted there for the past 4 years . Our first year there we seen some elk , but nothing since . There are way to many hunters that go there now . It's hunted out .

I brought my son up there last weekend. We saw exactly three other hunting groups, one of which I knew from work. There were 3X more ATV'rs out there than hunters that we could see.

We were "hunting elk" but more doing some scouting for deer for next year.

Unfortunately, we were ran out late one night due to some drunken inbred, hilljacks that decided firing off pistols into the woods at 9:00 at night was a good idea. When we were hearing the rounds spinning off the trees..."ziiiiiing" we packed up and headed home.

We saw some great animals up in the old burn area.

c-rad 09-04-2013 03:24 PM

I only hunt muzzleloader for elk so I only seen 2 hunters in the last 3 years. Even last 3rd and 4th rifle I didn't see any hunters while I was hiking where I usually hunt. I put a lot of time up there hiking and coyote hunting so I really never had a problem finding animals. This is the worst year in the last 3 for seeing deer and bear. I have 1 camera left up there and will check it while bear hunting Friday. Hopefully the elk are still there in 11 days.

Jatbrats 09-05-2013 06:39 AM

Well unfortunately it looks like we're going to be hunting there twice this year . Next week for muzzleloading and for 2nd season .

Kat3eWhit 09-05-2013 07:15 PM

If anybody can help it would be appreciated

c-rad 09-06-2013 10:31 AM

I was up there today hunting bear. No bears but ended hearing 3. Saw 2 of the 3 and It was a 6x6 and a 3x3. The last one was in some thick aspen sapplings and I never did see what it was. Get in before daylight and listen. They stopped bugleing about 915 this morning.

Wildman21 09-10-2013 09:13 AM

I was up there a week ago Tuesday, but didn't hear any bugling. Didn't see any deer, and the best sign I saw was walking across a road I smelled elk like I've never smelled before, must have just missed one marking its territory sort of speak. I was way down below Carrol Lake development.

deernutz 09-10-2013 09:35 AM

I used to try and hunt there when I was stationed in CO. Theres a lot of knuckle heads that go up there to drink, do drugs, shoot at anything. I stopped going there when the rd was closed by state police bacause they found a car up there that was abondoned with all the owners ID, cell phone, money, and Ipod. Just like the previous poster wrote. Theres better places to go without having to worry about the weirdos.

Wildman21 09-11-2013 12:58 PM

Just went up this morning, tried hunting in the rain for a couple hours. Saw an elk moving through the trees, and my Primos Cow Call decided it didn't want to work all the sudden, so I couldn't get it stopped to get in front of it. Then when leaving found out 24 was closed, so I drove Mt. Herman road all the way down to Monument. Fun day, if a little wet and frustrating.

Jatbrats 09-20-2013 07:48 AM

I was up there september 13 - 14 with Sis for the 2013 season . She has a either sex muzzleloading tag for elk . Opening morning we got on some elk , I was bugling to a bull for about 30mins or so . We just couldnt get close enought to them . Sunday morning I called in a cow for her at about 100yrds but she missed lol . It wasn't to bad just rained a lot . Oh ya I got into it with what I think was another hunter . We were getting set up where I first talked to the bull , when 2 hunters 1 in orange and the other in camo drove by on atv's . The first guy kept going when he saw us , but the other guy stop and parked . He had a damn yellow lab with him that just took off running around . So he starts yelling at the dog , So I yelled at him to '' keep it down '' . Then all of a sudden he starts smoking and the smoke strats blowing into the canyon we are planing to hunt . So by this time im pissed , so I walk up to where he is and ask him '' what the hell he's doing '' . He got this dumb look on his face and tells me '' this is everyones mountian ''. I turn around and I tell him '' in case you haven't noticed we were here first and we're trying to hunt '' . He then say's '' oh I didnt know what you were doing '' . I looked at him and told him '' we're having a F***en picnic what do you think now get the F**k out of here '' . Man people are stuiped and another thing he was in all camo with a muzzleloader . So I dont know what the hell he was doing . I just happy we got into some ELK !!!

c-rad 09-20-2013 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I shot a cow up there weds and went up today to pull my last trail cam out. Ended up see a cow and a 4x3. I saw elk everyday I was up there this week. Then I had these cows on my cam.
Attachment 26607

Attachment 26608

Jatbrats 09-20-2013 10:01 AM

NICE !! About where at did you see them ? I'll be back up there for the 2nd season .

c-rad 09-20-2013 11:28 AM

Up on the Teller/Douglas county line

Lark Bunting 09-20-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jatbrats (Post 4082250)
I was up there september 13 - 14 with Sis for the 2013 season . She has a either sex muzzleloading tag for elk . Opening morning we got on some elk , I was bugling to a bull for about 30mins or so . We just couldnt get close enought to them . Sunday morning I called in a cow for her at about 100yrds but she missed lol . It wasn't to bad just rained a lot . Oh ya I got into it with what I think was another hunter . We were getting set up where I first talked to the bull , when 2 hunters 1 in orange and the other in camo drove by on atv's . The first guy kept going when he saw us , but the other guy stop and parked . He had a damn yellow lab with him that just took off running around . So he starts yelling at the dog , So I yelled at him to '' keep it down '' . Then all of a sudden he starts smoking and the smoke strats blowing into the canyon we are planing to hunt . So by this time im pissed , so I walk up to where he is and ask him '' what the hell he's doing '' . He got this dumb look on his face and tells me '' this is everyones mountian ''. I turn around and I tell him '' in case you haven't noticed we were here first and we're trying to hunt '' . He then say's '' oh I didnt know what you were doing '' . I looked at him and told him '' we're having a F***en picnic what do you think now get the F**k out of here '' . Man people are stuiped and another thing he was in all camo with a muzzleloader . So I dont know what the hell he was doing . I just happy we got into some ELK !!!

Were they wearing buckets on their heads? :sheep:

Kytus 09-23-2013 09:06 AM

Was just up there this sunday to move my cam.

Thought it was in a decent spot, but I picked up a bit more human activity on the cam than I'd like. Looks like a family likes to hike through this drainage once a week. They were nice enough to smile for the camera. Also picked up an archery hunter on it.

Not nearly enough good animals on it this time around. 1 spike bull, 1 small buck, a couple and her fawn, and a coyote.

Lark Bunting 09-27-2013 05:45 AM

Who's heading up for this last weekend of archery hunting?

Haven't been back up since the rain and bucket-head incident. Going to camp a couple nights and hope to see some elk...:groupwave:

c-rad 09-27-2013 06:33 AM

I will stay clear this weekend just incase somebody is actually hunting. Don't like to mess people hunts up when I am just looking for animals. Next weekend I will be trying to locate some more animals.

Lark Bunting 09-30-2013 07:40 AM

Saw four but two were a couple miles north of the GMU. Found a cow elk and a big bull but they were a couple hundred yards up the mountain moving along. We called to them, had their attention and my son mistakenly thought I was hand signalling to move to the next draw when I was trying to gesture for him to get down....busted. We heard 5 bugles one afternoon but never got close.

All in all for our first year hunting these creatures we had a lot of fun, learned a lot, and will definitely be back next year.

Oh, yeah, sucks for the Grand Cherokee that went off the road and crashed hard into the tree. Hopefully nobody was injured too badly.

bobsspike 10-03-2013 06:03 PM

I will be Up there this sat with my son to hike and setup some more blinds, call a few Elk spray some elkfire and see what happens. I will let you know...don't any one shoot us..

SSGRICK 04-03-2014 01:40 PM

Luck

Last time yall posted was 2011. I was wondering how your luck has been since then. I moved to Colorado Springs in Dec 2012. I hunted 511 during first Rifle Season. While scouting in Aug I had seen many cows and a few big bulls. during Sep all the Elk just vanished. I located my spot and stuck with it. Dispite everything that was told to me and what other friends had scouted, I kept my spot. I arrived on Thursday before opening day. Every day was a bust nothing came out and not even a bugle. Wednesday morning was cold as can be. think it got down to 19. by lunch the temp had flipped and was about 68. being so discouraged i gave it one last shot. I had 130 head of Elk walk in on me... It paid off to stick to my place. I have a nice 5/4 on my wall for my first Elk.

I put in for 511 for the 2014 Season. I also put in for a Bear Tag. I Noticed that you have been seeing lots of Bear out there. any Advice would be appreciated.

c-rad 04-03-2014 04:11 PM

Last year was a terrible year for bears in the area I hunt. I did see bears nothing I would shoot. Only had 1 big bear on camera all year. It only took them a week though to find my elk carcass and take it down to bone. I should start getting them on camera in the next few weeks but I was up there 3 weeks ago and there is 3 ft drifts in some areas so i doubt there out up there yet

SSGRICK 04-03-2014 10:04 PM

I was out last weekend looking for sheds off of 309. Found a spike head. We seen lots of cows and a few nice bulls off of 307 and 307A. A guy from work told me that out by Rampart Dam there aee some nice Bear. Any hints on where I could start scouting or might find some decent Bears?

concourspilot 04-25-2014 05:58 PM

SSGRick how are you accessing 307,307A? I understand you may be active duty, but does Farish Rec. area allow the public to cross over to the east side of their property to gain access to Forest Roads on that side? I'm new to hunting the area, seen a heard of 30+ in the meadow today, about 40 near me in Divide and a few more near Phantom Creek. I'm out chasing spring turkeys and learning the area for the fall hunts.

Happy Hunting

Originally Posted by SSGRICK (Post 4132530)
I was out last weekend looking for sheds off of 309. Found a spike head. We seen lots of cows and a few nice bulls off of 307 and 307A. A guy from work told me that out by Rampart Dam there aee some nice Bear. Any hints on where I could start scouting or might find some decent Bears?

SSGRICK 05-01-2014 07:27 PM

At corner of 307 and 300, keep going on 307. You will cross private property, ferrish and more private property. Then you will reenter national forrest on 307. How is the Turkey hunting out there?

concourspilot 05-01-2014 07:33 PM

Thanks, I actually had a chance to find this out last weekend, several other hunters were in there. We had a lot of action on 309 2 weeks ago but haven't been able to find them since then.

Originally Posted by SSGRICK (Post 4137824)
At corner of 307 and 300, keep going on 307. You will cross private property, ferrish and more private property. Then you will reenter national forrest on 307. How is the Turkey hunting out there?

SSGRICK 05-02-2014 08:12 AM

I hunt Turkey on Fort Carson. Lots of action here just not commiting to decoys. When we were hunting elk up there we seen lots of tracks. There is a turn around with a trail on left side before you hit 307A. The trail heading to ferrish has a roost on it. Also down 307A on the right side there is a big open area that we seen signs. Do you have people to hunt with or do you go solo?

concourspilot 05-02-2014 08:22 AM

I'm hunting with my son (16). Plan to be out there in the morning.

Originally Posted by SSGRICK (Post 4137920)
I hunt Turkey on Fort Carson. Lots of action here just not commiting to decoys. When we were hunting elk up there we seen lots of tracks. There is a turn around with a trail on left side before you hit 307A. The trail heading to ferrish has a roost on it. Also down 307A on the right side there is a big open area that we seen signs. Do you have people to hunt with or do you go solo?

concourspilot 05-02-2014 08:30 AM

How far down on the right of 307A is the open area? We hunted about mid way down in some clearing on the right below the road. I think I know the spot on 307 with the trails, there were a few hunters in there so we moved on. The trail forks so your saying the one the left might have a roost? Have you taken a bird yet?

Originally Posted by SSGRICK (Post 4137920)

SSGRICK 05-02-2014 08:42 AM

Here is my number 719-306-9971. Give me a call and i can give you more details.